Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Dizziness when bending over

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I woke up Friday feeling dizzy, over the last couple of days I've realized I also get very dizzy when I would:

1) Roll over in bed when waking up.
2) Bend over sometimes, but not all the time.
3) Stand up from my bed when getting up.
4) When I lay down with a pillow behind my head or recline in my chair and put pressure on the back of my head, but I find if I change the position I'm in ever so slightly it goes away or wont happen at all.

This has never happened before. It's a kind of dizziness where everything starts moving/spinning around me and I feel like I'm about to fall, possibly vomit and where I can't really tell where up is up and down is down for a little while there until I stand still and the dizziness goes away.

I recently got over the Flu about a month ago and after that I changed my diet slightly, but everything was fine for the last 3 weeks. I don't take any kind of medication the only thing I've taken was Advil and my flu medication which I believe was Tamiflu (Oseltamivir phosphate) Capsules when I had the Flu and nothing really over the last couple of months except Ibuprofen for the occasional head ache.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 12th, 2009
Supporter
hi there and welcome..did you have an inner ear infection during your flu bout...not sure about tamiflu side affects bur sounds like inner ear infection could be the cause..? dizziness and sudden movement causing off balance is usually a sign and nausea.it may not have been present during the flu but left as side effect from it..just a thought watch for other replies..
|

replied August 13th, 2009
BPV or Ear Virus
Last year I had a similar thing happen to me. At first the dizziness would only be during certain times and go away after a few hours or so. This went on over several months until one day I couldnt get out of bed at all the dizziness was so bad. I couldnt drive or function at all it was pure hell. I ended up going to an ent for several weeks for testing, and later to the national dizzy and balance center where they told me after more tests that I had permanent damage to my inner ear due to a virus. I had to go through 8 weeks of physical therapy and it took a long time to improve. I still have boughts from time to time or if my head is in a certain position. You may have BPV or could be something more serious like what I had or it could be menieres disease. since you just went through the flu the virus may have impacted your inner ear. Either way dizzy is no fun and pretty scary. If it is just BPV they can do adjustments to your head which helps. I recommend a good ENT and if you dont get what you need call a physical therapy office. I would see how things go and if it improves but if not get checked out soon you definately don't want it to get worse.
|

replied August 15th, 2009
Well, I haven't been to the doctor but whatever it is its started to fade slowly but surly. I don't get as dizzy when I get up or move around, and when putting pressure on the back of my head I start to get dizzy but then it fades away. Hopefully within a week I'll be all better.
|

replied November 6th, 2009
Dizziness
I am having symtoms of dizziness and am wondering if it could be caused by sucralose, Splenda. I have been drinking alot of Fuze and stopped since I now have these symptoms. Can anybody relate?
|

replied December 21st, 2011
BPPV. Benign Paroxysmal Postional Vertigo - can occur after certain IV antibiotics, after a head injury and after oral surgery. The most telling symptom occurs when changing positions in bed. Have someone look at your eyes when changing positions. If they roll round and round, it's BPPV. The medical pundits posit that it's "stones" (otoliths) in the ear that become dislodged, roll around....causing the problem. Remedy is to have a "repositioning" done in doctor's office (called Epley maneuver) by lying on the table and turning to and fro as your doctor tells you. Additional exercises can be done at home in bed. They are easy and this cures the worst symptoms. However, they can linger for years. You get use to it. Some people get quite nausated and others don't. Good luck. BPPV is never "just"....as I said...the symptoms can linger for years for some (it's been ten years but I've grown accustomed) and some unlucky people never get much better after maneuvers...especially if the condition has gone un diagnosed for a long time.
|