Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

dizziness or feeling light headed (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi, quick backgrounder, this past weekend on Friday l had the 24 hr stomach flu. But prior to that i felt dizzy/woozy.

Today, Monday, i am over the flu but still get the lightheaded or dizzy spells. Having it right now while o type this.
It is concerning me as l am not sure what the causes this. Is it the virus still in my system or is it something else. Life has been quite stressfull over the last two months and am tired as a result of it..

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper matter4
|

replied June 26th, 2009
I have this too, I've had the dizziness off and on since Monday then a few days later I had a bad stomach/flu symptoms and the dizziness got worse. Currently the flu has mostly gone but the dizziness is still there, it's very strange and disconcerting I've never experienced anything like it. I'm hoping it's just a virus and it will fade soon but it's been going on for 5-6 days now
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2009
Supporter
The flu can cause a lot of havoc on your body. It's normal to be dizzy before and after the flu. Just get as much rest as possible. Drink lots of fluids and eat well. Eventually it will go away. If it persists you should visit the doctor. I hope you both feel better soon!
|

replied June 28th, 2009
still got this, suffered a bout of cold shakes this morning with my temp going up and down and my heart rate going up and down too, haven't slept at all and feeling nauseous - burping a lot but not feeling the nausea go away. any advice?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Supporter
There are some pretty serious flu bugs out there. I just got over one myself. If I were you I would make a visit to the doctor at this point, especially if you have a fever. Your body is trying to fight off some kind of infection and you might need some antibiotics. I hope you feel better soon!
|

replied June 28th, 2009
hey thanks for the quick reply. I made an appointment to go into the local hospital to get checked out in 2 hrs, haven't felt this ill for as long as I can remember but it's frustrating as the symptoms don't seem to explain it very well. I didn't realize you could take antibiotics for for a flu virus (if that's what this is). Could be the answer
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Supporter
I'm glad your getting checked out. Usually a fever comes when your body is fighting off infection, so you would need the antibiotics for the infection. Feel better and keep us posted.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
one thing I'm feeling is that if I were to throw up, it would make me feel better and I could perhaps get a short sleep, I feel it would stop the nausea, is making myself throw-up as bad an idea as it sounds or is it one that could work?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Supporter
I hate that feeling. Most of the time you do feel better after vommiting. They can give you a shot for that in the hospital when you.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
been to the local hospital but they were pretty limited as to what they could do, they said I needed to get blood tests to find out what it was and suggested it could have been a panic attack, except I have clear physical symptoms so I don't see how that could be. Going to try and get blood test done tomorrow. The bad part is now I don't know whether the bad 'shakes' and heart palpitations I'm getting are sparked by physical reasons or because of a panic attack. Not good...
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Supporter
It surprises me that a hospital wouldn't take blood. I guess it depends on where you live. A panic attack can take a lot of energy from you and certainly cause dizziness but I think stress, anxiety, panic attacks are too often used as an excuse when they can't figure out what's wrong with you. How are you feeling today? I hope you get better soon. Keep us posted.
|

replied June 30th, 2009
since the last post I've been to another doctor who decided it was unnecessary to take blood samples, he took a swab from the back of my throat though so I'm waiting to hear back on the results. He said it was most likely a virus and just said paracetamol to control the temperature. Still feel awful though, it's a bizarre virus because it is affecting me emotionally as much as physically, I feel anxious, depressed and reliant on others and keep second guessing whether it's all in my head or an actual virus. I even work up the strength to feel angry as well (I'm going through some stressful times trying to sort out moving house at the moment too). I keep telling myself it's just a virus and it will come to pass but it's been an exhausting week. Sometimes, usually when I first wake up, I feel fine, if quite dizzy, but this usually fades quite quickly, and at night it's the worst. Sorry for the long post but I thought it might be interesting to someone, and it feels good to type it out and get it clear in my head.
I would also really appreciate knowing if anyone else has suffered something similar, because this is a first for me
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2009
Supporter
Hello again, after reading your last post I'm thinking maybe you are really stressed out. I'm not saying it's in your head but sress and anxiety can really make you sick.
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2009
i used to have panic attacks all the time. You get very hot it becomes hard to breathe you get real dizzy. usually you will become shaky and your heart will start racing and pounding. In extreme attacks like i used to have it would even become hard to move or even speak for that matter. They will leave you totally drained emotionally and physically. If your spells sound anything like this you may want to see a psychiatrist. i didnt think i needed one until i started going and i have not had one in over a year thanks to mine =)
hopefully this will be a little helpful. and they also dont necessarily need anything major to bring them on, sometimes they just happen for no good reason.
|

replied July 8th, 2009
Thanks for the replies, I've been a bit off and on the past few days, I go from feeling fine and normal to feeling very depressed and anxious. Today for example I felt fine all day then about 4 hours ago starting noticing I was incredibly congested and having problems breathing, and since then I've felt unable to relax and the anxiety comes back. I'm still putting this down to the virus and trying not to let myself get carried away with my emotions. The doctor said this was an effect that the virus can have on your body, it messes with your emotions. The best solution I've found is not to analyze what you're feeling too much but this is easier said than done, because when you feel rough, you're going to feel rough regardless. Does a virus affecting your emotions like this, making you angry/depressed/anxious sound normal?
|

replied July 13th, 2009
Lingering anxiety and depression after being sick
I'm dealing with the same thing. I was sick in bed for 5 solid days last week and over the weekend. I'm back at work but feel really rough. Physically I'm tired, lethargic, weak. The emotional symptoms are what I'm struggling with though. Depressed, anxious, hopeless. I found this discussion while searching to see if others have similar experiences when they're sick. The answer seems to be a resounding yes. It seems that when we're sick the brain reacts in a way that makes us want to be removed from the action until we're well. Anxiety and depression will certainly remove someone from the action. I just hope it goes away soon!
|

replied July 15th, 2009
No you are not alone as I have suffered through alot of what you are experiencing myself. It's been 5 weeks since my symptoms have started and I have seen my Gen Prac. 4 times, had bloodwork done and just saw an ear/nose/throat DR yesterday. No one can really say what is wrong. I agree it is very frustrating and you start to question if it is all in your head. All I know is that I played the game of trying to work (power thru the day)only to end up more exhausted after working 2-3 days. I am home on disability presently hoping the rest will finally kick this virus ! I hope everyone feels better soon...
|

replied September 18th, 2009
Amazing. I feel the same way. It is now sept and I've been feeling lightheaded, lathargic, fuzzy-minded since the end of july. Ive seen neurologists, ENTs and my General Prac. Gotten blood work, EKGs and MRis done. And nothing. I wear glasses. I'm thinking maybe my vision is affecting my head? Maybe new prescriptions? Also, my cousing said that it could be allergies. She said that she felt like this too and she started taking Allergy meds and it went away. Anybody else try that? I've gone throgh episodes where I've been really worried about what was up with me.
|

replied November 9th, 2012
virus symptoms
Gosh, I actually realize I am in good company. Came here looking for explanations of my symptoms and seems like there are a bunch of us. I got so sick I blacked out and got a concussion too and now every doc blames all these lingering symptoms on something else. I am dizzy, light headed, very low energy, emotional, sleep disturbed. Feel a bit better at night and awful in the AM. Arrr so frustrating! A full week now and I have NEVER been sick that long!
|

replied June 4th, 2010
this is crazy, i feel the same way, i even thought i was pregnant but got a pregnancy test twice and they were negative, i'm thinking that it can be anxiety because i'm moving into a new house with my bf but at this point i don't know what it can be, yesterday i had palpitations and i thought i was going to die...
|

replied January 16th, 2012
can any one please tell me if they've gotten any answers? i've had the flu for about a week now and i've been to several doctors as well. In the morning I feel fine and then as the day winds down i start to get lightheaded and sort of dizzy with a generally ill feeling. Please tell me someone has answers?
|
12 >>