Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Dizziness and lightheaded after exercise

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
Hi There,
I am 29 male and have been working out on and off since my school days, Lately I have been training really hard for a photoshoot and have lost around 15 kilos in last 5 months, My exercise include 1.5 hours of weights ( moderate to high intensity) and about 45- 60 mins of Cardio (moderate intensity) about 4-5 days per week.
about 5 months back I had dizziness in the gym where I felt uneasy in my chest followed by some sort of sweating and a scence of fainting/blacking out. although I did not blacked out I felt mild headache for the rest of the day, my heart felt going faster than normal. after about 4 months I had a similar attack but much more intense, I almost blacked out, felt really uneasy in the chest, Heavyness behind the eyes, this condition stayed for about 3 days slowly decreasing in intensity. I took a month off from my workout and low calorie diet and tried to work out again but again felt similar symptoms!
Can someone guide me what\'s goign on.
Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2010
Headache and Migraines Answer A12694
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the episode of dizziness about 5 months back during a workout in the gym with uneasiness in the chest, sweating and sense of fainting with fast heart beat. You have also mentioned that similar episode occurred one month earlier where you almost blacked out/fainted with heaviness behind the eyes continuing for 3 days. And recently after one month layoff from workout, you felt the same symptoms on starting the workout.
You have mentioned that you have been diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome which is one of the pre-excitation syndrome. In WPW syndrome, there is an accessory atrioventricular pathway known as Kent bundle which acts as a bypass tract in conduction of impulses from atria to ventricles and predisposes the patient to develop tachydysrhythmias.
WPW is most commonly seen in otherwise healthy young adults. All the symptoms that you have mentioned with chest discomfort, palpitations and fainting episodes(syncope)can occur secondary to associated tachydysrhythmias in WPW syndrome. The patient may be cool, diaphoretic(sweating) and hypotensive on examination.
The diagnosis is usually made on ECG in conjunction with history and physical examination with delta wave, shortened PR interval etc. suggestive of diagnosis. Atrial fibrillation in patients with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome is very common and has an incidence of 11-38%. It is also the deadliest arrhythmia for these patients because of the possibility of deterioration into ventricular fibrillation.
Treatment of WPW syndrome depends upon the condition of patient. In unstable patients, electrical cardioversion is the treatment of choice whereas for hemodynamically stable patients medical management may be considered with procainamide. The treatment shall always occur under the supervision of a cardiologist. Radiofrequency ablation of the accessory pathway is the definitive treatment and prognosis is excellent after that.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.