Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

dizziness and chest tightness

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
My Dad who is 43 years old told me that last night after eating he walked to the living room and sat down on the couch when all of a sudden he got very dizzy then his chest tightened up and he started having a hard time breathing it scared him enough that he jumped up and headed for the phone to dial 911 but as soon as he jumped up and walked two steps it stopped suddenly and never returned. He felt no other effects afterwards. My father is very active and works a manual labor job he is taking Naltrexone (for alcoholism) and Lisinopril (for blood pressure). I am an EMT and the only thing that came to mind was possibly an air embolism or pleurisy but after researching both they seem like kind of a long shot.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2008
Doctor
According to your description (heart breathing that occured and vanished suddenly) neither air embolism nor pleurisy are possible.

To get an ear embolism ear needs to enter a vein. That can happen only if there is an injury of a large blood vessel or air entered by medical mistake. Neither of that hapened in your father's case.

Pleurisy can cause breathing dificulties but can't occur or vanish that fast.

Your father needs several diagnostic investigations to find out what realy hapen. You can consult his GP first and than a cardiologist and pulmologist if necessary.
|
Did you find this post helpful?