Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

disturbed sleep, loss of appetite, lack of motivation...

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
I am experiencing stress which I am finding hard to deal with. I have starting experiencing physical symptoms as well as emotional and I'm worried about it affecting my health - disturbed sleep, loss of appetite, lack of motivation, headaches, nausea, extreme emotions. I have spoken to my doctor but it has not been helpful so far - going to bed at the same time each night, eating little but often.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2011
Anxiety and Stress Answer A20797
Hello.

There are two aspects we can consider here. First, the stress you are trying to deal with, and second, the effects it has on your health. The symptoms of disturbed sleep, loss of appetite, lack of motivation, etc. can be seen in depression. You might be going through clinical depression and the depression could be a result of the stress. On the other hand, being depressed can make you vulnerable to more stress and anxiety. So, it can become a viscous cycle.

If you have not tried psychotherapy yet, this is probably the right time to do it. You may not have seen much benefit from the medication, but when you combine them with appropriate kind of psychotherapy, you might be able to see positive changes. The therapy process can help you identify what aspect of the stress you are not able to deal with, and what aspect bothers you the most.

Hope this helps a bit. Take care. Let us know if you need more help.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.