Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Distended stomach after eating

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hi all,

A couple of years ago I noticed that I would occasionally get a distended stomach after eating. This would usually resolve after a couple of hours with excessive belching. I told the doctor about this in 2007 and he just laughed and told me not to eat so fast.

Over the years the problem have progressed from occasionally to daily. I have tried to identify certain foods that may trigger these symptoms and I have tried to eat slower. Nothing seems to help. At first I would only get these symptoms at night after dinner, but now I can get it anytime (even after just eating a bowl of cereal at breakfast).

My symptoms have progressed to include a noticeably distended stomach, sharp crampy pains, feeling of fullness, and just overall discomfort. These symptoms have greatly effected the way I live. I have had to avoid certain social situations sometimes due to my excessive belching.

Also, I'm very petite (5'6 and 123 lbs) so a distended stomach is very noticeable on me and often makes me look like I'm pregnant. So clearly these symptoms are a source of embarrassment for me. I have not experienced any changes in bowel movements so I'm not sure that IBS is the answer. Can someone please relate to these symptoms and give me an idea as to what to do?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Luckyasinstar
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Have you seen a doctor who specializes in the digestive tract? If not, this is where I would start.
|

replied March 26th, 2009
bloating
Have you tryed Aloe Vera Juce pure 100% 50 ml on empty stomach first thing in morning.
wont cure it but will help a lot
Brian
|

replied June 6th, 2010
Extended stomach and constipation
Hi my name is Judy I have been having the same problem and has gotten worst after the past 3 years! I have been to several doctors and just like u no answer!!! $100,000.00 later after medical bills still no answer!!! I even flew out of the country to see a doctor in Colombia my home country, and they suggested an electro theraphy that seemed promessing but since I had to come back couldn't have it done. I used to suffer from bulimia and anorexia for years and the doctors there said that what is happening might be a result of a poor nutricion and poor use of my digestive system after years of abuse... To be frank that made sense to me but still doesn't seem to fix the suffering and pain I feel.. I can't eat without getting huge looking like I'm about to give birth, vomiting and the use of laxatives which is the only thing that seemed to help me go ( I spend up to 4 weeks without going #2) has also given me a bad case of internal scaring, and internal and external hemorroids... I'm only 25 years old 5'5 ,110 pounds and when I get my "bad" days I can put on up to 15 pounds in a week just from not going and lose the same amount of weight within a week!! I have try to stop the use of laxatives not only for the demage they cause inside but also because they don't seem to work anymore!!! I'm desperate , depressed,scared,my hair is falling out, I brake out like crazy , and mostly I can't help to feel terrible for my husband who is suffering as much as I am.
We are still looking for help, and trust me if I find anything I'll be back here asap giving it to you. Because nobody deserves to live like this!! And please of you find something that helps you I'll be extremely greatfull to hear about it!! Smile meanwhile keep strong and remember that there are more people like us, because t some point I thought I was the only one specialy with the doctors laughing in my face. Smile take care!!!
|

replied June 24th, 2011
Constipation
I am starting to suffer from the distended stomach but has struggled with constipation since I stopped working out regularly several years ago. The only relief I have found is All Bran Original cereal. If I miss 1 day of eating this I get constipated. I definitely recommend this cereal for constipation. It may take a few days before it works but eat it daily and it should help.
|

replied July 7th, 2011
I think i know why some of you are suffering! Please read!
EVERYONE PLEASE READ I THINK I MIGHT HAVE YOUR ANSWER! In my past i have suffered from anoerexia and bulimia. On and off again for years...I finally got my life together and put my disorders behind me. Things were going great health wise until december 2009 when I decided to compete in figure/fitness competition. When my trainer started adding food - my stomach would blow up and look seriously pregnant just after one meal. I spent 2009-2011 searching or answers dr after dr. I was told it was in my head - or anxiety or womens issues - i was even told to get a hobby. Test after tests was performed - xrays, ultrasounds, 2 ct scans, bloodwork, er visit after er visit, colonscopy and endoscopy which showed i had mild chronic gastris. so i was given pills for GERD even though i don't have any of those symptoms. I took the pills and nothing changed. I was told it was IBS - even though i didn't meet the requirements - I went to the bathroom every day or every other day. I was still crying in pain everyday - sick to my stomach - bloated stomach - it felt like i was suffocating inside. I tried cutting down my food - I tested negative for celiac, allergy testing . Everything coming out normal. Then I had a nerologist suggest it was scar tissue in my stomach from previous surgeries...I even went as far out to Boston to a 5 star hospital and had diagnositc laproscopy. The surgeon found no scar tissue what so ever and no hernias! Guess what it was???

****Gastroperoseis*** - Delayed Gastric Emptying! I was refused this simple test by two GI's that I saw....they told me I was too young to have it! I am 28 yrs old. I was told by the other GI to just stop eating and get a hobby. Of course I didn't think that was a smart way of diagnosing someone.

The answer had dawned on me after I woke up from the surgery - the surgeon saying i am sorry i dont know why you have pain there was no scar tissue - hours past by and I noticed my stomach was flat. I have not seen my abs since 2009. Clearly it was a digestive issue. I went back to the surgeon and asked him if it was Gastroperoseis and he said it very well could be.

I cut out a lot of dense foods - especially steak, oatmeal, avacados, brocolli, green beans - anything that has to do with fiber will hurt you. my stomach pain is more than cut in half and the bloating is much better.

Delayed gastric emptying - is no joke - from my research a lot of people that have suffered with eating disorders anoerexia or bulimia - end up getting it years later after they have recovered.

Please ask for a delayed gastric emptying test. It is a simple procedure. In the meantime please cut out slow to digest foods even though they are deemed healthy. Stick to liquid protein shakes, egg whites, small amounts of chicken, no raw veggies, no oatmeal.

Seriously, I do not write in to these often - but it makes me so angry reading all of your posts. suffering and looking for a reason why. trust yourself. i was told by many doctors it was mental related and it was not. I was even cut up and had surgery for no reason.

please research delayed gastric emptying - symptoms are distention, bloating, upper epigastric pain, upper tightness, sick to stomach feeling, and sometimes even vomiting.

causes are: diabetes, post viral flu, anoerxia and bulimia, and post surgery. please email me if you have any quesions. Hopefully you wont have to suffer like I did.

Heather
|
Users who thank Luckyasinstar for this post: izzie123 

replied April 7th, 2012
Have you thought of food allergies like milk cause s lots of weird symptoms. I would get tested for possible food allergies, also have you had a scope? good luck,
|

replied September 5th, 2010
bloating yeast distended stomach
My wife had bad bloating after eating even a small amount. She also was belching after eating. Her lower abdomen was distended like she was four months pregnant (she is only 5'3" and weighs 128 pounds). SHE GOT RID OF ALL HER SYMPTOMS IN JUST TWO DAYS AND HAS BEEN FINE EVER SINCE (over a month). Here is what she does. She drinks half a glass of water with two tablespoons of organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar EVERY TIME before she eats. She only uses the organic unfiltered cider vinegar with the mother of vinegar in it. The mother of vinegar is the wispy strands of the live yeast that turns the natural sugar of cider into vinegar. She had had problems with an ulcer in the past and even had taken antibiotics for helicobacter pylori but has had no burning at all since she started drinking the diluted vinegar. Her figure also looks GREAT now. Best of luck to all of you.
|

We found this page before we discovered the UNPASTEURIZED unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar but my wife wanted to come back here and post to help "Untangle81 and Judystar61. I forgot to say that my wife does not even drink fruit juices or milk without first drinking the UNPASTEURIZED (i.e., live) unfiltered organic cider vinegar. She never drinks SODA or pop. We buy the vinegar at our local trendy healthy-foods grocery store.
|

bloating distended stomach yeast
A couple of things I forgot to mention in my post about how my wife got rid of her bloating with UNPASTEURIZED unfiltered apple cider vinegar:
1. She mixes the two tablespoons vinegar with a half glass of BOTTLED water so the chlorine in the city water does not kill the yeast in the vinegar.
2. For many years she had been having bowel movements only every 3 or 4 days
3. Her gastroenterologist did not have any ides about how to treat the bloating.
|

replied October 13th, 2010
bloatinggone2
Hi,
I just tried this last week and I'm noticing a big difference in my stomach. Like you said, I use 2 tablespoons of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar before I eat large meals and don't stick out nearly as much any more.
Any ideas of why this helps?

Also, I too suffered from h pylori and since then have had gastrointestinal issues. I'm now lactose intolerant and was suffering with extreme bloating and distention. I suppose this is a commonality?
|

replied May 10th, 2011
Healed digestive problems
I healed all my chronic digestive problems with high potency digestive enzymes, combined with hydrochloric acid supplements. Another fabulous product that heals the lining of the colon is Siberian pine nut oil...some people have had their lives turned around from this in days. Instead of laxatives, use Oxygen Colon cleanse...it will actually heal the colon and is non-addictive. These are the most important suggestions that will make all the difference. Do internet searches for the above and you will find a lot of excellent information.
|

replied May 11th, 2011
Any advice for me?
Hi release144.

I have had bloating & distention no matter what I eat for 7 months. Seen two GI's & an endocrinologist. Eat more fiber, drink more water. Well, fiber makes me bloated & constipated (I'm normally regular). I've been taking Digestive Enzymes ( good ones from BlueRock Holistics), hydrochloric acid, & probiotics, but the bloating is still constant I wake up with it, & go to bed with it. It has gotten better since taking these supplements but I was wondering if you had any dosage advice. I take 2 hcl tabs before each meal that contains protein, fat, or carbs. In other words, if I'm eating a banana I don't take them. I have been taking the digestive enzymes with every meal. I pop a few before I eat & a few after. I am taking the probiotics on an empty stomach in the morning & at night before bed. Any suggestions?
|