Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

distended gallbladder

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
hi to all,
just had ultrasound on upper right side due to a achy pain that has been with me for 5 months,it goes away when i sleep.but comes back during the daytime and it comes and goes during the day.the ultrasound found a distened gallbladder with no stones,head of pancrease is fine and so is the liver and the right kidney,all ducts are clear. any suggestions i have celiac so that could be the culprit.
ant thoughts would be great thank you and good health to all.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tmtettl
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

From the description , your symptoms could most probably due to gall bladder issues.

You might consult your doctor for medications and therapy to reduce the progression as well as reduce the distension of the GB.

Conservative management to avoid symptoms due to gall stone disease and control it include:

1) Avoid mental stress and overstrain
2) Avoid eating special food and deep-fried, and fat free food.
3. Be on a gall stone specific diet. (Described below)
4) Lifestyle and Dietary habit changes: Paying attention to regular meals on time; Avoid excessive food and/or drink at one meal. By eating right, one can avoid formation of gallstones and also flush out the existing ones.

Important aspects of a Gallstone diet that you might consider follow:

1. First and foremost drink plenty of water.

2. A diet rich in water soluble fibers (found in fruits and vegetables).
The inclusion of at least 3-4 servings of vegetables a day and two to four servings of fruit each day is a must in a gallstone diet. Include fruits like - Dried fruits (dates, apricots, prunes, raisins); raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and oranges. Include more of vegetables like beans, corn, and broccoli.

3. Include a lot of whole grain bread, corn bran, cereals, buns, muffins, bran flakes, whole wheat cereals, whole grain pasta, and brown rice in your daily diet.
Whole grains - help to flush out gallstones; also enhance the digestive system.

4. To avoid risk of developing more gallstones, make sure you stay away from red meat, fried and fatty food items, onions, alcohol, and eggs. Staying away from heavy proteins like cheese, butter, and whole milk is also a good idea.

You might consider consulting with your treating doctor for additional information. The specific management and need for surgery can be decided after weighing the pros and cons.

I hope this helps.

|

replied April 4th, 2011
hi thank you for your post and time.i will follow the eating plan and see how it goes,and also follow up with my gi guy. thanks again
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
gall bladder problem
hi my mother is suffering from severe pain in gallbladder.i want to share her ultrasound report.kindly guide us.
gallstones with markedly over distented gall bladder and dilated CBD traced upto head of pancreas showing no calculus or sludge-mild intrahepatic chloestasis.
sonographic evidence of acute cholecystitis with a streak of peri cholecystic fluid.
liver is enlarged measuring 18.4cm.hepatic parenchymal echogenecity is increased.
spleen is enlarged.kindly tell me is there anything we should worried about?? and how it will be treated i.e surgery or antibiotics sort of thing will be enough.plz du reply me quickly.
|

replied May 23rd, 2012
Experienced User
I think you're pretty guaranteed that they'll offer to remove the gallbladder. Stones plus distension plus pain means removal.

"hepatic parenchymal echogenecity" is a fancy term for fatty liver, which is probably why it is enlarged. Quite possibly the enlarged spleen is caused by the liver problems. The most common causes of this are being overweight (being obese almost guarantees it) or (very often and!) having diabetes. The same things are major risk factors for gallstones.

A fatty liver may not cause any problems, but can lead to complications, pain, permanent damage (non alcoholic cyrrhosis), and liver failure. The enlarged liver and spleen suggest that it has gone beyond the "no problem" stage, but you should expect more tests to narrow down the diagnosis. Initial treatment will be a change of diet, attempted weight loss, and if necessary drugs which can help the liver to repair itself.
|

replied July 15th, 2012
Gall-Bladder problem,

Hai,hello,My gall-bladder is distended and shows multiple small calculi. But no calculus or mass. this is the report of ultra sonography. All the day,I have the pain in up portion of the stomach,there is also no digestion.Is this cause any big problem.
Give suggestion please.
|

replied July 18th, 2012
MY daugther hurts all the time
Hello, My daughter is 7 years old and she has been having problems with her stomach since Dec. She had a CT Scan done and it said her gall bladder was distended and they couldnt see her appendix. Her stomach hurts all the time and she dont eat much. She dont sleep at hurt because it hurts. They have tried zantac.. What should we do.
|

replied July 18th, 2012
MY daugther hurts all the time
Hello, My daughter is 7 years old and she has been having problems with her stomach since Dec. She had a CT Scan done and it said her gall bladder was distended and they couldnt see her appendix. Her stomach hurts all the time and she dont eat much. She dont sleep at hurt because it hurts. They have tried zantac.. What should we do.
|

replied June 26th, 2013
Urgent
Hi I want to share my dad's report.his ultrasound report says that gall bladder is distended measuring 8.1 x 3.7cm. Sludge seen inside. Minimal pericholycystic fluid seen. Common bile duct is prominent measuring 0.8cm. However no calculus seen. Pancreas is fine so is the liver and both kidneys. Kindly reply me ASAP. Thankyou
|

replied August 1st, 2013
Does anybody have some suggestions as to what is causing my pain? I've been in constant pain for 5 days. It's in the upper right quadrant. It may be my GB. I've had the ultrasound, which showed no gallstones. GB is slightly distended, and liver has mildly heterogeneous parenchymal echotexture. I am a recovering alcoholic. Am to have the HIDA scan tomorrow. My pain, on a scale of 1-10 (10=most pain) for the past couple of days has been a constant 6, surging 5-6 times per hr to an 8-9. I am taking Vicodin 325/5 up to 4x per day + >= 3200 mg ibuprofen. They've given me 2 shots of toredal, and still I have constant, sometimes acute, pain. I went to the ER 4 days ago w/BP = 189/116 and chest pains, which have settled in my back pretty much whole upper back right quadrant, under, behind, and around my right breast. It centers most times under my right shoulderblade in my back. They gave me IV Dilaudid in the ER, and even that didn't help much.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.