Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Dislocating my jaw at will

Just recently while having dinner I casually made the observation that I can only 'pop' the left side of my jaw now that I've had braces. Beforehand, I could 'pop' both.
My mom asked me to show her what I meant, so I did.
She says I am dislocating my jaw, and classified it as TMJ.
Naturally I was concerned, and looked into treatments/exercises for TMJ.
But the more I read, the less I could find that actually related to my situation.

The cases of TMJ I've read about are often associated with pain or discomfort, and cases of dislocation are often by accident, and are quite noticeable.
For myself, however, I can dislocate my left side whenever I want, simply by opening my mouth wider than normal. When I close my mouth, it returns to normal.

I'm curious as to what I should do concerning this, and if there are any specific exercises to 'fix' what my jaw is doing, as my mom claims. She says that she had a similar problem, but it was after a car accident, and doing the exercises helped put her jaw back in place. But I'm not sure if she had exactly what I have.
Again, I'm not experiencing any pain, I've just always been able to do it, for some reason now only on one side.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
well id be concerned---if you can just not do this and do the exercises and see if it resolves on its own and wait till after you get the braces off---you arent in any pain so id wait---you dont need a bunch of stuff going on at once. If at that point it isnt resolved you may want to see a chiropractor(or if it gets worse and you still have braces)--this may just be normal to moving your teeth around. so hang in ther and let me know how it goes
|

replied August 20th, 2008
I've actually had my braces off for about 2 years now.
I noticed that only my left side was popping just a few months ago though.

Can anybody tell me the potential long term effects if it isn't fixed, or there even will be any?

And can someone point me towards the right exercises?
Thanks
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
well it depends on you---but you could have arthritis etc---ther is a sticky with exercises in it at the top of the page
|

replied December 21st, 2008
mine
has done that for as long as i can remember, even before braces, my ortho asked me if it was painful when it pops in and out and i said no. he said as long as it didn't hurt or cause pain it was ok.
i open my mouth wider than norma (i guess, it seems like it happens every time anyway) and i feel it popping in and out of place.
even when my mouth isnt open i can move my jaw back and forth in and out of place.
|

replied July 6th, 2010
you're not alone
I am the same - for as long as I can remember I've been able to pop my jaw around in funny ways, and (very) occasionally a large yawn will make it hard to pop back in. It never hurts. I have braces now, but can still do both sides (though the left is easier). I haven't done anything about it because I don't understand what the problem is (or if there is one at all).
|