Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

disconnected feeling a PTSD side effect ?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I have not been sleeping well. Have tried a number of sleeping agents but they dont work. 2 months ago my now ex boyfriend tried to sleep with my daughter but I kicked him out and have had no contact.
I have lost 3 siblings in the past 10 years..2 to suicide and one they are still puzzled over..she was found in her home with the heat turned off, naked, and say she died of hypothermia.
I am seeing a counselor and have been for the past 3 yrs.
For the past few days I have felt very disconnected with myself...feels like my mind is not connected to me.
I also smoked marijuanna for 7 years and have been clean for 1.5 mths.
This happens often..the disconnected feelings. I try not to let it worry me..tell myself that perhaps it is how I am dealing with anxiety and reality.
Just wondering if this is common in people with post traumatic stress disorder. What are some ways to cope with this feeling?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Yeah, that's common. It's called depersonalization or derealization. Usually, once the root of the anxiety is successfully treated, those feelings will go away. Until then, your psychologist should be able to help you cope with it.
|

replied September 13th, 2010
APTSD
I have also felt this same "disconnected" feeling.... It happened to me after a heart attack... VERY mild, but a real wake up call!!! I still think somehting is wrong even after the cardiologist and Dr. said I am fine... get these strange sensations like I am not in my body..... really strange... was on zoloft... DONT want to stay on it... coping....
|