Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Discomfort in sternum area

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
I have been experiancing discomformt in the area of the sternum. The discomfort is one of presure. If it were higher in the chest I would think heart attack, but what to rule that out and find some relief from what I am experaincing. Standing seems to reduce the discomfort but not eliminate it.

Any ideas
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2010
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Any chest pain is cardiac unless proved otherwise. You need to get an EKG or ECHO done to rule it out. Other causes may be gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD), costochondritis, muscular pain, lung diseases, thoracici outlet syndrome, gall bladder disease and hiatal hernia.

Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods . Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then it will be best to consult a physician.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.