Medical Questions > Mens Health > Mens Conditions Forum

Discomfort in lower abdomen , frequent urination

Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
4 weeks ago, my husband started complaining of an uncomfortable feeling (not painful) in his lower abdomen just above his pubic bone. It progressed into him feeling the need to urinate frequently, having sharp intermittent pains under his belly button and the end of his penis feeling “cold”. It didn’t hurt to press hard in that spot, but lightly touching it would drive him nuts because it caused a “twinge” sensation in the area. On Monday of last week, he went to the doctor. They took a urine sample, which showed that there was a small amount of blood in it. They also checked his prostate which they said felt normal. They prescribed Ciprofloxin for a bladder infection. The doctor’s office contacted us 2 days later to inform him that there were no bacteria present in the urine culture and that he could stop taking the antibiotics. Prior to them taking the urine sample, he was on an antibiotic (Dalycin) for a poorly done root canal that became infected. Would those antibiotics made a difference in the urine test? He went back into the doctor (different one) because the urge to urinate and frequency of urination were still persisting. The doctor pushed on his belly and found a tender spot in the middle-ish part of the left (I think) side of his lower abdomen. She suspects that perhaps he has kidney stones so he is going for a CT scan. She checked his prostate again (much to his shagrin) which she also said felt normal. They also took many, many vials of blood today to test for “everything” including STD’s which she seems to think is unlikely as he doesn’t have any discharge and it doesn’t hurt to pee. She also seems to think it doesn’t have anything to do with his prostate. It doesn’t seem to bother him as much when he is lying down, it doesn’t wake him up in the night, but when he sits or stands, it nearly drives him crazy. He finished the course of the antibiotics and the urgent need to urinate has mostly gone away but the twinge sensation remains. He also had a moment when it felt like someone was "holding a lighter under his balls". His biggest fear is that they will find nothing amiss and then what. Anyone have any similar expreiences and what was it and what did you do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 1st, 2011
Can you please tell me what has happened since as my husband has had the same issues for 8 months?
|

replied July 15th, 2011
My symptoms are more or less the same, so any feed back would be gratefully accepted.
|