Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Discharge and dark urine after Macrobid

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
I am 20 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection, for which I was prescribed the antibiotic "Macrobid." I had never taken this medication before. I was given the medication twice a day for seven days. I finished the medication yesterday. I drank lots of fluids before, during, and after taking the medication. While the frequent urge to urinate subsided, I have been plagued with a few new symptoms, and I want to know if they could cause harm to my child.
I had dark urine before the Macrobid because of the UTI, but now it is even darker. It does not have a strong smell. Since it's only been one day since I finished the medication, I suppose it is possible that it still working it's way through my system, but I want to be sure.
I also noticed yesterday that I have odorless, thick yellow discharge coming from my vagina. Could this be a yeast infection caused by the antibiotic? I have had a yeast infection once before, and it was very uncomfortable and smelled very foul; this does not feel uncomfortable and there is no odor.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 1st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Urine may turn dark yellow or brown in color during treatment with Macrobid.
It is a harmless side effect that usually disappears when medication is stopped.
A whitish or whitish-gray thick discharge with appearance of cottage cheese, odorless, accompanied with vaginal or vulvar itching, burning, soreness, irritation, are symptoms of vaginal yeast infection.
Both, recent antibiotic use and pregnancy are predisposing factors for developing this condition.
|
Did you find this post helpful?