Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Discharge after colposcopy

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
on Wednesday I had a colposcopy and had biopsies taken. then on Thursday i had sex with my bf. now i am discharging skin and brown clumps. i have no idea what it is and i am scared to death about what it might be. any ideas??? anything would help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Hariklia
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2009
Supporter
It sounds like you have a little bit of tissue and some old blood from the colpo. (I am assuming that a sample/ biopsy was done.) You have to keep in mind that the doctor scrapped or cut off a piece of your cervix for the procedure and you have not had time to heal properly. From what I have read, a patient is supposed to avoid douching, using tampons, and having sex for about seven days after the procedure to give the cervix time to heal. I suggest you abstain from sex for a couple of days. I don't think what you have experienced is a big deal but since it frightened you so much, abstaining is your best bet.
|

replied January 1st, 2010
Colposcopy
When I had this procedure done, I had bad cramping as well as bleeding and brownish color like a period. This is normal but you are not suppose to have sex for at least a week after to give your cervix time to heal. I have read in other forums that it is normal to have some discharge that looks like tissue as well..
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2010
Community Volunteer
I have had a colpo as well...the brown stuff is a combination of the iodine, old blood, and the salve they put inside your vagina. This salve helps stop bleeding, especially if they did a biopsy. They don't do stitches unless the biopsy is big enough to warrant stitches, so they use this salve that helps clot the blood. If what is coming out of you is brown, seedy-looking and clumpy, it is most likely the salve. You should not have sex unless your doctor says it is okay to. If you notice any heavy bleeding (more than a pad an hour-NO tampons), foul-smelling discharge, or have extreme pain, either go to the ER or schedule an appointment with your Gyn ASAP, as those symptoms could indicate an infection.
|

replied May 20th, 2010
white discharge after biopsy
i also just had a colpo with biopsy 3 days ago. i had none of that black discharge but today out came this big white clump that resembled maybe like white wet toilet paper with little spots of blood in it. i called my Dr. and the nurse said that sometimes the vinegar they put in your cervix can react with your skin and a layer of skin will come out. so i guess that's what it was. if it happens again, i need to call back
|

replied July 20th, 2010
discharge after sex after colposcopy
Hi, I had a colposcopy with biopsy on Thurs. The doctor said she took out a very small biopsy. I didnt bleed at all after the procedure but had a small amount of brownish discharge the next day only when I was working out. The doctor told me to not put anything into the vagina for one week, but I had sex on Sat and bled heavily during Sad A bunch of white clumps and blood came out when I went to the bathroom. Its been four days since this and I am still have thin brownish tinged discharge. Is this normal? How long will it last? I am worried that I screwed everything up. Also, how long should I wait to have sex now? Sorry, I am just really concerned that something is going wrong down there. Sorry!
|

replied October 30th, 2010
WHEW!
I just popped online here too, i've had a colposcopy before and i had the mustard then coffee grounds but never the strips of skin. Anyway, had one on Thursday (today is Saturday) - felt like i started my period then realized i had what i thought was part of a latex glove come out of me! Had pieces of what looked like blood and coffee grounds inside of again what I thought was a piece of broken down latex. I called my mother and the doctor office trying to get someone; now reading all these comments here and from other online sites, realized this may be normal and my doc just didn't warn me either.
|

replied February 27th, 2011
I had a colposcopy biopsy done 3 days ago and my bleeding had stopped for almost a day and then it came back.
I've been getting blood clots and my gyno had never told me how long the bleeding will last for or not to have sex or use tampons, does this mean that the sex and tampons doesn't apply to the amount that was taken or just that my gyno was carless in informing me?
|

replied March 19th, 2011
I had a colposcopy done on Wednesday, today is Saturday. Each day 1 or 2 small pieces of tissue come out that were no bigger than a dime - that I assumed was from my healing cervix. But today a much larger piece of tissue came out while in the shower and it was all wrinkled and yellowish with dark "coffee ground" like spots. After reading this forum I'm glad to know this is normal. My doc told me not to have sex for a few days, but I think I'm going to wait longer to make sure I'm healed.
|

replied January 27th, 2012
strange discharge after colposcopy
That's exactly what happened to me "intheknow"!! A big piece of a latex glove and coffee grounds. It was so bizarre and disgusting. I don't think I nedd to call my doctor after reading all this same experience..
Thanks for posting!!
|

replied July 15th, 2012
I had a colposcopy and a cervical biopsy on Wed. and have been have clear discharge with a vinegar odor. I had to go to urgent care and they found that my cervix was healing but I had a lot of inflamation. I'm still waiting for the results.
|

replied May 18th, 2014
I had a coloscopy and was told no intercourse for 4 weeks. I have the coffee grounds, wasn't warned, and have a vinegary odor.
|