Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

disc desiccation

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Please explain to me in layman's terms the following Impression:
At L-5-S1 disc desiccation is present with a minimal central protrusion. a new left lateral disc herniation extends caudally and effaces fat adjacent to the left S1 nerve.

Minimal central protrusions are present at C3-4 and C6-7.

thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds like you have a degenerative spine, not uncommon as one ages.

Disc dessication is the loss of fluid in the discs.

It is best that you ask these questions to a qualified spinal surgeon for him/her to explain them properly and related them to your specific situation.

Fran
|

replied September 13th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy (online)
the bottom disc of your spine has disk dessication this means atrophy or drying out of the intervertebral disc, resulting in loss of height. you also have a small bulge and a rupture that is getting close to your left S1 nerve

you also have two bulging disks in your neck the bulges are small i am sure you will ask your doctor as well good luck
|

replied May 28th, 2011
Arachnoiditis issue
So far in perusing the internet, I have yet to find anyone speaking about arachnoiditis. I have been diagnosed with this and it is so horrible. Is it really true that there is no cure or help for folks suffering with this painful problem? Besides that I recvd a mri report stating that now I have some moderate disc desiccation and mild disc space narrowing...what is that?
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
is,

Unfortunately, you are correct as there is no cure for arachnoiditis (inflammation of one of the membranes of the brain and spinal cord). And, many of the treatments for other spinal problems can make this worse. Since steroid injections are actually thought to be a possible cause of this, they are not recommended for its management. Treatment is therefore directed at managing the patient's pain.

Also, there is no correlation with the amount of involvement on MRI to a patient's symptoms. As is true with most spine problems.

As to your MRI findings, as the discs age, they start to lose their water content. This is desiccation. It is the first and early sign of disc degeneration. Once the cartilage of the disc loses some of its water content, it is not as able to stand up to the stresses applied to it. Thus it will tend to decrease in height and may bulge slightly (like an underinflated tire). So, the disc "space" will be narrowed. (There actually isn't a space between the vertebrae, it is where the disc actually sits.)

Sorry about the arachnoiditis. There are many support groups out there with other patients who have the disorder. You may want to look into joining one of them. Good luck.
|

replied May 13th, 2013
Hurting more after the surgery..help me understand!
I had a laminectomy last October 2012. I've been trying to transition back to work.I've made it up to six hours per day for the last two month, but not without pain in my lower back daily. My legs are starting to ache and burn! I just had another MRI. with contrast May 11,2013. It appears L4/L5 are now desiccation and loss of disc height. A right original disc protrusion with annual ligament tear was noted prior to the October surgery, but surgeon did not address this area. Daily activity has turned into a challenge...driving the car, attempting to work 5 days a week, sleeping at night and waking up every morning. Cogenitally narrow lumbar spinal canal along with postprocedural changes at L4 L5. Can anyone out there help me to understand why I hurt more new than before the laminectomy? Help me understand Please!!!
|