Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Difficulty swallowing saliva

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
I am having some difficulty swallowing my own saliva nad I cannot seem to find any answers for this. Last night all of a sudden i had to start forcing myself to swallow, it felt that I was going to vomit, but I was not naseous and never did vomit. This morning, I am still experiencing this problem. The weird thing is, I have no problem taking a drink of water, but I have to force salava down. Its like m gagging reflexes kick in or like my throat muscles are trying to quit working.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A17108
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the difficulty in swallowing your saliva which started just last night.
Occasional difficulty swallowing usually isn't cause for concern, and may simply occur when you eat too fast or don't chew your food well enough. But persistent difficulty swallowing may indicate a serious medical condition requiring treatment.Dysphagia (difficulty in swallowing) can result from any disorder that weakens or injures the nerves or muscles involved in swallowing. The causes include neuromuscular problems like strokes, multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease), myasthenia gravis, brain injury, Parkinson's disease, postpolio syndrome and Alzheimer's disease, as wells as chronic disorders like scleroderma and Sjogren's syndrome.
You must consult your personal physician for definitive diagnosis as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.