Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Difficulty completing bowel movement

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
For several months now I have regular bowel movements but no matter how hard I push it never comes out completely. There is always something hanging and it never feels like I've voided thoroughly.

I've tried citrocel and I eat a lot of fiber, but still, I can push and push and it won't all come out.

Is this very serious?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bookieNYC
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
You did not mention your age or gender, which makes it difficult to be very specific with my response.

Many factors can affect our bowel habits, including changes in diet, our level of physical activity, and medications.

If you have recently experiened a change in your bowel habits, and if it has not responded to a high-fiber diet and plenty of water, then you should be evaluated by your personal physician to rule-out any serious disorders of the colon or rectum.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied June 24th, 2009
Any cure for constipation with incomplete bowel emptying?
I have this similar problem. Can't empty my bowel. I'm 48 have had 5 children vaginal birth. Have a rectocele & cystocele. Have to take metamucil every day, Dr recommends surgery, will that resolve the problem? could it be made worse. will I ever be able to live without laxatives and what is long term effect of straining still and using metamucil?
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2009
I have a similar problem. I'm 40, male, and after I go I almost always have discomfort - it feels like I don't finish, but there's nothing I can do. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes to recede. This all started a few months ago. Another unwanted result - I hate to be gross - is that I often need to wipe again after a while as I can feel some unfinished business there and it quickly becomes irritating. The whole thing is troubling and confusing to me!
|

replied May 13th, 2011
what will i do
Im 20 years old i feel the same way.. my bowel is so hard and my anus bloods...and irregular movements sometime 5-6 days i cant dispose my waste.. pls help
|

replied March 12th, 2013
Fibre Can Be The Enemy For Many
More fibre is the WORST thing you can do for yourself!!! We are told to eat way too much fibre in the way of grains and for many of us our bodies can't handle it. THEN we're told to drink 3 litres of water every day to wash it down.......why even go there in the first place?

I discovered clean eating which is cutting out most grains, eating tons of veges, nuts, fruits, seeds and meat. I also can have dairy.

Chia seeds in a smoothie with banana, rice milk, berries every morning does wonders for me but everybody is different.

I had IBS for 20 years and it flairs up when I'm stressed, I don't take care of myself and start eating bread and high complex carbs.

I also take a probiotic and if I'm having real issues I listen to a hypnosis for IBS which I downloaded from the internet.

Metamucil, laxatives etc will cause long term damage.....my grandfather has diverticulitis because of Metamucil. His doctor also said that many people his age are getting this because back in the war times bread was the only thing available.

We are too addicted to wheat products!

Also to validate what I'm saying check out the website Gutsense. It really helped me!
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.