Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Difficulty breathing large lungs

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
It seems, that when I lie flat on my back for a long time, I start to have difficulty breathing and I am a bit curious as to how much of this is really a problem and how much is to be expected....

This has happened a couple of times and it's starting to get me a bit weary of medical procedures as this is the only time I do lie on my back. I usually only sleep on my side.

The first time, was earlier this year, when I had a kidney stone removed. When I came out of surgery, I couldn't breath and was admitted to ICU. They could not find any signs of spontanious pnuemothoraxis, but apparently this is very difficult to prove after the fact. They eventually suspected that it might have been the aneasthetic.

The second time, was when I had to have the stint removed from the prior kidney-stone operation. This time, however, it wasn't as bad because the procedure didn't last as long.

The point that I started to doubt that it was due to the aneasthetic is when I went in for a brain-MRI. Thirty minutes into the sixty minute process, I started to find it more and more difficult to breath. When it was finally done, I was very close to choking.

Since then, I have experimented with lying flat on my back and I genuinly start to feel as if I am suffocating if I do it for too long.

The final thing that has me confused, is that whenever I go to see my cardiologist, he complains that he can't see my heart because my lungs are "Too big" and are in the way. It amuses him that my lungs is larger than what he would expect, seeing as I do not do any sports and am not a very active persion.

Anyone have any ideas as to the cause of my breathing difficulties and how much of a concern my apparent "oversized" lungs are?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2008
Supporter
Hi Seraph, I've seen you around in the forums. Your posts are very helpful and kind...so let me give it a shot on this concern. Smile

The diaphragm helps control the expansion of the lungs, and is a muscle that can be exercised. When you have difficulty breathing, is it during the inhale or the exhale?
|

replied September 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
Hi Rooted, thanks Very Happy

It seems to vary...but mostly seems to be on inhale.

With my first op, it was on the inhale. I couldn't get any air into my lungs and it felt like when you suck on a balloon instead of blowing into it...

The second time around, it was mainly on the exhale.

The incedent in the MRI was once again inhale...though it started slower and more progressive as apposed to the first time where it was immediately difficult after I woke up.

I have even thaught it might have been an anxiety attack or hyperventilation, but when I lie flat on my back on the floor, after a while, it would start...sometimes inhaling...other times exhaling

It doesn't seem to happen as easily if I am lying on a mattress, which does make sense, seeing as both the operating-table and the MRI table is a flat...uncushioned surface.

Something I have noticed, now that you talk about the diaphragm, is that I generally seem to breath in from my chest...rather than my stomach...if that makes sense?
|

User Profile
Supporter
Yes, it does make total sense. Most of us breathe from the top 1/3 of our chests (shallow), and need to be trained to redirect the breath downward. Here are a few breathing tests that you might find helpful. Please let me know how it goes and what the results are...I can help direct you to some exercises.
|

Experienced User
The moment I lie flat on my back, I stop breathing with my chest alltogether and only breath with my stomach.

I find it uncomfortable to breath with my chest, even in combination with my stomach, while lying down and in trying to do so, I started getting pains in the lower part of my lungs. It's the same kind of pain that you would get when you are unfitt and doing exercises.

That might explain the difficulty breathing after a while...because of too shallow breathing?
|