Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

difficulty breathing, burning in sternum, bloating

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
i am 21 years old and had no problems like this before, the only stomach problem i had was nausea after eating fatty foods..
ive been having problems starting 5 days ago. Starting with difficulty breathing, could not take a deep breath, and felt slight sensation of burning in lower sternum area. second day the breathing problem left and i started having a burning stomach. a heavy burning sensation in the upper stomach nearing the lower sternum area, the breathing problem at this point was almost non existent. i went to ER they did a blood test it came back normal, and prescribed me famotidine. the pills seem to have no effect, but the pain would leave randomly, sometimes came back after eating, sometimes not. I feel bloating sometimes, heavy bloating to where my stomach felt full and couldnt eat, and sometimes not, yesterday the pain was almost gone and everything appeared to be somewhat normal. Today i started having heavy breathing problems again and a heavy heartburn sensation in the middle of the sternum, as of right now it is only a heavy burning sensation in the middle of the sternum. So it was mainly breathing problems at first, then mainly burning stomach, then burning lower sternum, sometimes mixed with difficulty breathing(the breathing is usually the first symptom i experience), and heavy bloating, now im at burning middle sternum on the 5th day. my stools are fairly normal with diarrhea, i might add that my symptoms have been progressing and evolving, this middle/upper sternum heavy burning sensation i did not have the past 4-5 days. Once i get hit with a symptom (burning or bloating) it stays for the good part of the day...
Im wondering what this is specifically, i am very stressed and anxious, but im thinking this might be due to low stomach acid not high, so in term im actually making the problem worse...please tell me what to do
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2008
Doctor
I believe that your "breathing" problem is due to a anxiety. If your breathing problem was due to some real lung disorder doctors in the ER would probably reveal it. Such disorder which looks like a real organic disorder but it is not is called somatoform disorder (hypochondria).
Burning sensations from the stomach and lower sternum could be due to stomach acid reflux. You can try to calm these symptoms with antacids, proton pump inhibitors and H2-blockers. Acid reflux and bloat stomach can be due to gastritis, duodenitis, peptic ulcer etc. Have you ever done Helicobacter pillory-serology and gastroscopy?
|

replied April 13th, 2011
Why do all doctors think breathing problems are due to anxiety? I had colitis and the ER doctor told me I had food poisioning, 2 weeks later was correctly diagnosed and was hospitalized for one month. I almost lost my colon. I also have breathing problems that started after contracting pneumonia that just won't go away.
|

replied July 18th, 2008
it was indeed anxiety, now im trying to deal with it, the abdomen takes most of the nervous tension, crazy things it can do

thanks for your help
|
Users who thank alex433 for this post: Dr. Nikola 

replied July 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Try and stay away from any real spicy foods and see what happens. Does it seem to increase when you eat a big meal?
|

replied January 10th, 2010
bloating lung compression inability to breathe
Went through all your symptoms!!! Not anxiety. After 20,000 dollars worth of tests. It is exactly as the dr. said-Take prescribed protonix and have your gall bladder checked out. I would say you definitely have a huge gall stone that is causing ALL these symptoms. This was my experience and 2 other friends.
Get yourself to a gastro guy! Eat no fat in your diet! Good Luck!
|

replied February 4th, 2011
How did they find the gallstone?

I'm having similar symptoms, but they've done ultrasound of the gall bladder and CT of the abdomen, no problem.
|