Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Difficult bowel movements during period

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
hi guys, i just want to know why its very hard for me to bowel everytime i have my monthly period.. please answer me thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 6th, 2009
This is normal. Some women struggle with constipation, but a majority deal with diarrhea because of prostaglandins, which are primarily responsible for the uterine contractions that help expel blood. They trigger contractions in your bowels typically. If you're having the opposite problem, your body likely just responds differently to this. I suggest changing your diet around the time you get your period. Eat more fiber (Thomas' Light English Muffins, Autumn Wheat Kashi cereal, fiber bars, etc) and lots more fruit Smile Stay away from meats. It's possible you just crave different foods around your period, resulting in constipation. Hope this helps!
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2009
thank you so much dana. u know what i was very worried coz i thought it was a symptom of colon cancer. thanx again
|

replied July 21st, 2012
menstration and digestion
Hello. I also have a similar problem. When I was younger, in my teens and early twenties, I had relatively mild periods but invariably felt constipated during the first day or two of my period. Usually certain foods (prunes & etc) help. Now, in my early thirties, my body/hormones have apparently changed, and I have the opposite problem... I have more bowel movements than normal during the first two days or so of my period, but to my body it doesn't feel like "enough." Also accompanied by nausea. Haven't figured out how to treat this.
|

replied July 21st, 2012
menstration and digestion
Hello. I also have a similar problem. When I was younger, in my teens and early twenties, I had relatively mild periods but invariably felt constipated during the first day or two of my period. Usually certain foods (prunes & etc) help. Now, in my early thirties, my body/hormones have apparently changed, and I have the opposite problem... I have more bowel movements than normal during the first two days or so of my period, but to my body it doesn't feel like "enough." Also accompanied by nausea. Haven't figured out how to treat this.
|
Quick Reply