Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

difference between umbilical and supra umbilical hernia?

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
User Profile
please can you tell me the difference between an umbilical hernia and a supra umbilical hernia? my 2 year old has a 1cm hernia......the surgeon says that it's an umbilical hernia and doesn't need to be operated on and his 2 registrars (below him) both say that she has a supra umbilical hernia and needs to be operated on. I'm so confused and don't know what to do.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2012
Hernia Answer A30626
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
It is difficult to comment on the exact diagnosis without examining the child. If you are worried and in doubt, you should consider taking a second opinion from another pediatric surgeon. Proceed with further management after your second opinion. Umbilical hernia can be left alone to get corrected as the child grows. If it is not umbilical hernia, it might need correction depending on the extent of the problem.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: hernia
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.