Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

difference between herpes and HPV

Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....
Hey
I am 8 months pregnant and a few months ago i thought i might have had herpes..i noticed a few bumps down there..itching..burning while i was peeing and it seemed i would swell up from time to time..
I got checked by 2 different doctor's who told me that it was not herpes but genital warts (hpv) and skin tags...
I was kind of confused about it because i thought genital warts were painless and didn't cause any discomfort at all..and i figured they also didn't cause burning with urination..
so now it's been a couple of months since then and i'm having the same symptoms still..i've been really itchy and irritated..and i still notice those few bumps on me..there seems like there is even some new ones..

I'm scared it still could be herpes but maybe the doctors were wrong..
I thought maybe it was a yeast infection as well but i'm trying monistat right now and it doesn't seem to be making a difference..

I had a pap back in march when i found out i was pregnant and nothing came back abnormal on it and i haven't been sexually active since then..

Does anyone know what's going on?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi!
Bleeding or urinary obstruction may be the initial problem when the wart involves the urethral opening.
Itching and vaginal discharge can be experienced due to genital wart, too.

Have you been performed antibody test for genital herpes?
|

replied September 16th, 2008
No i don't think so..both of the doctor's i went to just did a examination and that's how they discovered genital warts and skin tags..but both said that it wasn't herpes..my doctor was going to do a swab test but she didn't because she just said that is not what it is just by looking at me..
|

replied October 18th, 2008
The doctors are more educated than us and since both are saying the same thing, it is worth believing. Herpes will eventually heals up around 2 weeks and warts will take much longer time around 3 months but some warts are lifetime.
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Herpes infection can go asymptomatic for years.
Preventive cesarean section is not indicated for women who do not have active genital lesions at the time of delivery.
|

replied January 26th, 2009
herpes is really painful and uncomfortable, the sores heal after about 2 weeks also you tend to have a really bad fever and sore throat a few days after contracting the virus.
by the sounds of it you havnt got herpes as herpes is not a constant burden to you.
it does sound like genital warts to me
perhaps to put settle your mind you should seek advice from a third doctor, i have known may people who have recieved incorrect diagnosis from several doctors.
|

replied January 28th, 2009
I was diagnosed with HPV a year ago. I never had any symptoms until recently. I also thought I had a yeast infection but after 2 weeks and going to the doctor 2 times he said HPV can cause the same symptoms as a yeast infection. It is very uncomfortable. Has anyone else had this reaction from HPV? If so, how long did it last?
|

replied May 14th, 2009
HPV
I was just diagnosed with this and have has yeast infections with it. They said it could lay dormant in your system for years before getting any symptoms.
I have been watching down there ever since I found out because they said it could lead to warts...very scared and panicked over this....
|

replied July 12th, 2009
Hi
So what's the difference between genital herpes and HPV? I thought they were the same thing.. which is cancerous?

I've been sexually inactive for the past few years. Unfortunately, I've got this Virus (genital herpes) from my ex which i didn't know it till last month during my std blood test when i suffered blisters like ulcers near my annus. Does anyone has sharp adomonal pain when having herpes attack?
I'm 32 with one child before and my gynae gave me my 1st jab of gardacil vacination. Told me to return in two months later and then 3 months later for the final dosage! Anyone can comment?

I'm scared too!!!
|

replied October 23rd, 2010
HPV -- symptoms BURNING??
I have had the worst experience with HPV. I had it two years ago. It was soooo uncomfortable- burning, itching. It was lie a really bad yeast infection but with a lot more burning than itching. In any case, it went away on its. so fast forard to two years later, I had unprotected sex with my boufrirend, and exactly three months later I get the same awful feeling as i did two years ago. I am worried it might be something else but am pretty sure its HPV. Does anybody here have the burning sensation feeling with HPV??
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2011
hpv?
I think i might have hpv i have small like pink bumps looks like pink moles,it itches around my vagina and anus i use vagasil moist wipes and they really help with the itching,But this week im gonna go and see my gyno i have not had sex in over 7 months,I feel great i eat right i excercise etc oh and hot showers make the itching feel good as well.What do you other readers think?
|

replied May 4th, 2011
Hmm, that's a tough one. It's quite confusing to tell the difference between herpes and HPV because the symptoms are quite similar. I found this site and this page has some info which may help:

However, I'm no doctor so maybe go get them checked out.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
Hello to all.

I am 22 and just 2 days ago I noticed something on my vagina.I have 1 pink mole on it. A small one but sometimes during sex I feel uncofortable.

What does that mean?
Should I go to the Doctor?

My boyfriend has nothing on he penis. We've checked.
So there is no way I got something from him.

Thank you all.
|

replied April 29th, 2012
you def need to go get checked...and FYI just because he "has nothing on him" does NOT mean you didnt get it from him...you very well could have if you were having unprotected sex. Men do not show symptoms all the time...
|

replied May 13th, 2012
From March-2010 to March-2012 I took steroid for Lichen Planus on glans penis. In the 1st week of April-2012 I got Candidiasis on glans penis. I met the same doctor who gave me steroid. I have been Taking Fluconazole, Ketokonazle and Azethromycin tablets. Being frustrated I got tested for HIV a few days back even though I had never had sex outside marriage. The test (TRIDOT) says "NON REACTIVE". I am frightened. Advise please!

Since the beginning I have been taking advices of a dermatologist only. He is an M. D. from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences at New Delhi, India. He has been practising for more than ten years. His appearance says that he is approximately fifty years old.
I underwent the TRIDOT Test under an advice of a General Practitioner. Simultaneously He advised V. D. R. L. Test and I underwent that one too. THE V. D. R. L. IS ALSO NEGATIVE.

I am dead sure that my wife is HIV negative. I do not need any clinical test.
I took steroid (Betamethasone and Dexamethasone) tablets from first week of March-2010 to first week of March-2012.
Lichen Planus vanished within two or three months, as far as my memory goes.
In the first week of April-2012 Candidiasis attacked me.It vanished. Again it attacked me after one month approximately. Now it is about to vanish.

I have been on Fluconazole, Ketoconazole and Azethromycin tablets. The Ketoconazole and Azethromycin tablets have finished. The Fluconazole tablets will finish within two or three weeks. I have been also taking some tablets containing many vitamins and minerals.
During the first few days of Lichen Planus I had attack of Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV). The Dermatologist treated me with Acyclovir tablets and Acyclovir cream. The HSV vanished.
The second attack of HSV during the first few days of Lichen Planus vanished within five days or six without medication.

During the first few days of Candidiasis I got the third attack of Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV). It was the first week of April-2012. This time the Dermatologist did not give Acyclovir. Instead he gave Fluconazole, Ketoconazole and Azethromycin tablets.
I AM HIV NEGATIVE. BUT I HAVE BEEN GETTING THESE UNUSUAL ATTACKS. 'UNUSUAL' IN THE SENSE THAT I HAVE NEVER COME ACROSS ANY PERSON TALKING ABOUT THESE TYPES OF HEALTH HAZARDS. THAT'S WHY I AM FRIGHTENED.
|

replied December 7th, 2012
can anyone give me a definate answer?
I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum or not?I think am.Anyway ond off now for maybe 2 years I have had some odd out breaks.I have no idea what it is,and since I am not a doctor/nurse,I cannot tell the difference between HPV or Herpes.While the symptoms are a little different,they look both look the same to me.I can tell you that when I get an out break,it is no more than 1-3 small bumps and they are almost never in the same place.There is no pain,itching or feeling "ill",it just appears without warning.I'd say 99% of the time there is no itching and the only time there is any sort of itching at all is usually when it is healing/clearing up.My out breaks clear up within 5 to a maximum of 7 days.I've been tested,but I can never get an appointment when I have an out break,it is always "after".I've been as descriptive as I can and still I get no answers from nurses or doctors and it bothers me that I don't know what this crap is.Recently I've had another outbreak,but it is "more" than it ever has been before but the bumps are smaller,maybe around 12 of them this time and this is freaking me out.It is day 3 and everything is already healing/clearing up.I know I'm preaching the the choir and there are no "cures" for HPV I know of let alone Herpes,but I'm almost 100% sure I don't have the Type 1 Herpes Simpex virus.I think it may be HPV,but I don't know for certain.I would honesly like to know what this is so I can deal with it.
|