Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

diarrhea,stomach pain,gurgling noises

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hi All

For the past 3 mths i have been having bouts of stomach pains and diarrhea, at first i thought i had a stomach virus as i vomited on the first 4 bouts but the last 6 bouts i have not vomitted and the bouts have gone from once a month to all the time as since 9 days ago the stomach pains have been here all the time and every other day i have bad bouts of diarrhea.
My stomach makes loud noises too gurgling sounds and it feels like it is turning over the whole time, i get pains in the flank back area and on either side of my belly button, my stomach is sore to touch in places and deeply aches at times as if i have done alot of exercises or something. The diarrhea really smells and is nearly a yellow colour and watery at times i have bad wind too that smells alot, i have to dash to the toilet and never know when the diarrhea is coming so have been confined to home. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and myofacial pain syndrome 4 yrs ago and all of the meds i am cause consipation and in fact i have suffered with consipation for 20 yrs to have a sudden change like this is concerning but i went to the dr and she was not worried as i have had symptoms for 3 mths but i was not so worried about it being serious just that it was ruining my life and causing me pain, she wanted a stool sample so i am waiting for my next bout of diarreah to get one! and she mentioned if it was negative for infection she would do a blood test for celic disease.
Has anybody got any advise as what this might be and how to cope??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jsaylorcps
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum. I am glad I can help you here.

Based on the history and the description of the symptoms of cramps, bouts of diarrhea, and specifically, in absence of major symptoms like fever, loss of weight, appetite, bloody stools, etc, you may be having Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

IBS is a chronic functional disorder characterized by cramping abdominal pain or discomfort with alterations in bowel habits (bloating, constipation, and diarrhea). IBS does not cause any permanent damage or any serious illness but the symptoms cause severe discomfort & distress affecting an individuals work, ability to travel and attend social events.

IBS is very commonly seen in individuals who lack proper stress management skills. Such patients may have co existing disorders like fibromyalgia, pain disorders, etc.

Most symptoms of IBS can be controlled with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications (laxatives, antidiarrheals, antispasmodics, or antidepressants).

You may consider to consult your physician or a gastroenterologist for counselling if you have any additional doubts.

I hope you find this helpful.

|

replied January 7th, 2012
I don't usually post to these things, but I have had Crohns Disease since I was a kid and now I just turned 40. There can be many reasons for your bowel issues, but it sure sounds like all of the symptoms I have dealt with for all these years. I hope that is not the case for you. Please go see a gastro Dr soon and make sure its not Crohns. You can live a good life with well treated Crohns. Crohns unchecked and untreated will ruin your life. Not trying to scare you, but its that important to get checked.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.