Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Diarrhea for a week

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I'm worried that my doctor is overlooking something. I've been sick for a week with no signs of getting better, and this is affecting my job and my life. I'm an otherwise healthy 27 year old woman.

A week ago today I started having bad stomach cramps and diarrhea. This has persisted all week. It started out extremely liquidy and yellow. For a week I've barely eaten anything but saltines and plain pasta, which has made it easier, though I'm still having the diarrhea. I've lost 5 lbs since Friday.

In recent days my stool has become more solid, but very mucousy and tonight there's blood mixed with the mucous. I saw a doctor Saturday who told me to basically sleep it off. On Tuesday when I was still sick, she prescribed Diphenoxylate to help the cramps. They took stool samples and everything tested negative for a bacterial infection. I have no fever.

Tonight when I called the advice nurse, all he suggested was taking Immodium and drinking plenty of water. Everyone I talk to seems unconcerned, but I've been miserable for a week and I'm worried this is going to persist. Is it possible they are overlooking something, or do I just need to ride this out? How long till I go back or get a second opinion?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2008
Community Volunteer (online)
I hope by now that you found a solution to the diarrhea! Did it go away on it's own or did you need any treatment?
|

replied May 20th, 2010
how did you ever get rid of your diahrrea because i have been the same way and it is killing me. ive lost 6 pounds have gotten dehydrated and have blood present.. pepto bismol does nothing. i feel like im constipated at the same time
|

replied September 17th, 2011
Any follow-up? Im having the same problem
|