Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Diarrhea as a symptom of an HIV infection

Must Read
Basic facts on diarrhea here, including the difference between acute and chronic diarrhea. Learn to identify each....
What causes diarrhea? We outline the most common causes of diarrhea (viruses, bacteria, and medications) and let you know when to seek medical help....
Learn how to prepare yourself when seeing a doctor for diarrhea. Know which medical exams and tests to expect, and also which questions to ask. Start here....
User Profile
How likely is my stringy slight Diarreah gastro noises, burping, onset after 2-3 days associated with HIV? Can it be another STD?
When should I get tested for other STDs
Can I test my feces now to see if its another gastro thing.
What is my risk with this sex worker, and what is the risk to my partner after 30 hrs of my possible exposure gastro illnesses be passed from intercourse?
Is testing under 6 weeks at all beneficial? Im highly worried.
Thank You

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2009
HIV and AIDS Answer A5798
Diarrhea can be assumed to be a symptom of AIDS only if lasts for several months. Symptoms like yours (diarrhea, burping, gas release, sore throat…), that started happening 2 days after the risky sexual behavior, can not be considered as symptoms of an HIV infection. The time period for AIDS development after HIV infection varies in different persons (from a few months to a few years) but 2 days is a really short period. So, I believe that your symptoms are rather due to anxiety than an infection, especially not HIV/AIDS.

The risk to get an HIV- infection (if the prostitute was infected) if the condom broke is less than 1%.

Medical tests that search for Anti-HIV antibodies (ELISA, Western Blot) can detect an HIV infection 22 days after the exposure. Tests that search for the HIV antigen p24 can detect the HIV-infection 16 days after the exposure, and finally, tests that search for RNA-HIV (PCR) can detect the infection 11 days after the exposure to HIV.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.