Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Diaphragm pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
on a scale of 1-10 of rating pain I would give it a 10 on the worst of days and a 8-1/2 on the good days...there is no certain time of the day that it comes either... I am 19 years old and 4 and 1/2 months ago I had my first daughter...I don't know if it is depression cause I have never been back since my 6 week check...I don't feel depressed and everything is all good until this pain occurred... the pain is what I call in my diaphragm it is at the "v" of my ribs and it like radiates into my stomach and shoots into my back the first time it happened it doubled me over...but it still takes my breath away...I'm a little scared that I have a stomach ulcer or diaphragm cancer...I have been to the doctor and he suggested that it was acid indigestion and I told him that it is not that...I have had horrible acid indigestion to the point where it made me puke...but he was sure thats what is was so I tried antacids but like I suspected they didn't work! I'm really worried that it is something really bad...I don't have insurance and don't really have enough money right now to go see the doctor so I was hoping that someone could help me figure out what is wrong with me I really just want to get better so that I can be a good mom! Thanks for your time!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 24th, 2009
got some info
well I bit my lip and made a trip to the ER last night and they did some blood work and a CAT scan and they found that I have elevated liver enzymes, and my gallbladder and colon are swollen so to anyone who has these pains, you should see a doctor...but be ready to answer, tell caregicers when you last had abdominal pain, and hos it started, show them where you feel the pain, tell them how bad it is on a scale of 1-10 and how long it lasts, tell about your diet and if any particular food brings on the pain, tell if the pain happens before, during, or after meals, tell about other signs and symptoms that you have. tell them if you find it hard to eat or have recently lost weight without trying. tell them if you are throwing up blood or if you are passing dark-colored stools. tell your caregivers if you have had gallstones or other diseases or surgeries in the past. if you are female tell about changes to your period or if you know or think you might be pregnant. other information that may help you decide what kind of pain it is!!
|

replied May 24th, 2009
what you should know!
Acute abdominal pain is discomfort in the stomach area that lasts for less than three days. The word acute is used to describe pain that starts suddenly, worsens quickly, and lasts for a short time. The abdomen is the area between the chest and the hips and contains organs of the digestive system. these organs include the stomach intestines (bowel), liver, gallbladder, pancreas, and spleen. The digestive system in your body breaks down and absorbs what you eat and drink. if your stomach discomfort is not treated it may lead to chronic pain. Chronic abdominal pain is pain that worsens or keeps coming back over a period of at least six months.

Visceral pain: this is the pain you feel when your internal organs swell, or are damaged in your body. You may feel a dull, cramping, or burning pain that builds up slowly. you may feel pain down the middle of your stomach or you may not be able to feel exactly where it is.

Parietal pain: This type of pain is usually felt after a sudden injury. An injury can cause urine, pus, bile, or other contents to leak and hurt the lining of you abdomen. Parietal pain starts suddenly, feels sharp, and you can feel where it is in your abdomen.

Referred pain: This pain is felt in a part of rthe body that is fay from the actual cause of the pain. Referred pain may be felt when a nerve is hurt or pressed on
|

replied April 5th, 2012
Diaphragm contractions/pain
I only had the pain come tonight for the first time as bad as it did, underneath the front rib, below my breast to my back and towards the lower right groin area. The internet said it could be appendicitis, liver/pancreas/gallbladder/large intestine problem. I thought to go to ER, but no insurance. So I made a shallow hot bath with bout a half carton epsom salts, and almost immediately began to feel better, like a muscle was beginning to relax slowly. so i massaged under the ribs, lower right-up-lower left, in case the large intestine was blocked. Then i laid on that side (right). I had also grabbed castor oil and a towel, made a pack, and put it on after I turn to left, still in tub. put pack under the rib/hip area, good anti-inflammatory.
|

replied December 18th, 2012
Today, I experience that same pain. The below of my diaphragm was hurting and i always feel like I need to burp. Sometimes I feel like I need to throw but when I try to make myself throw up nothing comes out just some burps and spit. I tried looking it up on the Internet and it made me feel worse because I'm scared it might be what they said and that I might need surgery or something so please help!!!! I'm freaking in pain and scared right now!
|

replied February 26th, 2013
Go to a gastroenturologist (short- Gastro Doctor). They may "scope" you (endoscopy). Trust me. This is VERY easy. They put you asleep for 3-5 minutes, send a camera down your throat and examine all the way down to the bottom of the stomach.

No pain. I've never had after-effects. Waking up from sleep is a lot easier than a surgery. In short, even us chickens will find it a nice nap and then go home.

If you are over 50, go ahead and have them scope you from the other end, too. It's recommended and they can do it all at the same time. It's not a surgery. They put you to sleep to relax you.

EASIER THAN THE DENTIST...SERIOUSLY
|