I was diagnosed with Gastroperesis earlier this year by my Endocrinologist, but the diagnosis was based on the symptoms I described to him and not due to any diagnostic testing. I do need to correct myself here, my Endocrinologist did give me some type of enzymes to try which have had some success in some patients; however, I found them to make the problem seem worse. About 4 or 5 months ago I started waking up and usually after showering I would get nauseated and before I knew it I was vomiting, but it was usually just dry heaves or clear liquid coming up but what was coming up had the taste of something sour and I will admit that at the time I was eating a lot of lemons so naturally I thought the lemons were causing the problem due to the acid so I stopped eating the lemons, but the vomiting and nausea continued and honestly it has only gotten worse. Granted the nausea and vomiting is usually limited to the mornings after showering; however, there are times when it will hit me in the afternoons/evenings now and instead of clear liquids or dry heaving, undigested food in with a great deal of force will come out and usually the undigested food can be something I ate three or four days previous.
Not only do I suffer from the nausea and vomiting I also rotated between a few days of diarrhea and constipation, which let me tell you is horrible because I never knew if leaving the house I would be constantly running to the restroom or if the dam would hold and be backed up for a few days, either way I was completely miserable and I felt that it couldn't get worse. Then a month or so ago I started feeling as if I never emptied completely when going to the bathroom; granted I could have a massive blowout, but there always seemed to be more, but I just couldn't force it out. Honestly, I didn't think so much about it at first because I also have diabetic neuropathy and I take 10 mg of Methadone 3 to 4 times per day with 800 mg of Gaberpentin (Neurontin) 4 times a day and I was told that both of these drugs can cause constipation and diarrhea, but at this point I don't know if it's the gastroperesis or the drugs or the combination.
FINALLY my primary care physician referred me to a GI Specialist who listened to me for about 5 minutes and informed me I needed an Endoscopy and a Colonoscopy, which I had yesterday. In order to prep I was given two Biscoytal (spelling) pills and a jug of HalfLitely to drink; told to take the pills at 2 p.m. and start drinking the liquid at 4 p.m. I waited and waited and waited - finally about 9 p.m. I had a small bowel movement, but nothing like I expected. I didn't have another movement until like 2 a.m. and it was a very small movement, the last movement before the tests was about 3:30 a.m. and again very small and I could tell by looking that it didn't look anything like the color described in the literature from the doctor, but I went in to have the test. The doctor performed the Endoscopy and did determine that I had food that had not digested so he was fairly sure I definitely had Gastroperesis, but he went ahead and tried to do the scope but when he got into the colon, he said he couldn't see anything because I was in fact about 50 percent still full. Not only did I have to go through drinking the prep for nothing; I had the scope used for really no reason and in the end it has caused a huge hemorrhoid that is so painful I cannot even begin to explain. When the doctor was telling me the results he said I would have to have the colonoscopy again in a few weeks and do a two day prep.
I am officially miserable, I no longer have a life, I can't travel, I spend hours at a time on the toilet, I feel bloated, I have pain and because of the neuropathy, my legs and feet go numb, burn and hurt beyond anything I could ever explain. Today the doctor called in a drug for me to take which is supposedly used for gastroperesis but after reading all of the side effects and hearing other peoples problems with the drug I'm afraid it would just cause more trouble that I already have which I certainly can't deal with right now. I am truly at my wits end. I also forgot to mention I've really not been able to eat for about two years and I am 6'4 - large boned but I have lost weight down to 157 lbs.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Does anyone else suffer like this?
DO any physicians know of a physician that could possibly help me?