Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Diabetes and Pregnancy

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
User Profile
I am 27 years old and have type 2 diabetes since 16 years. I have maintained good control over my sugar levels and exercise regularly. Can I have a successful pregnancy.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Yes, in case your diabetes is well controlled, then you should have no issues to have a successful pregnancy.

Before you concieve, you should consult with your diabetician as well as your OBGYN and get all your parameters (blood sugar, HbA1c, Blood pressure, Urine protein, Etc) within a acceptable limits, so as to avoid any form of complications to you as well as the baby. In addition higher dose of prenatal vitamins (Folic acid 5 mg) should be initiated before conception.

Your doctor will order a blood test called an HbA1c test, which helps to assess the level of glucose in your blood. It's best if the level is 6.1% before you get pregnant. If you score higher than this, you need to get your blood glucose under better control before you conceive in order to reduce the risk of complications for you and your baby.

In case, you are on oral medications, they may be changed over to Insulin, during your pregnancy, which improves the overall outcome.

Regular visits with your diabetician and your OBGYN who are experts in diabetes and pregnancy will ensure you get the very best care.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank DEEPAK ANVEKAR for this post: aatish 
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.