Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

DHEA cream for scar healing ?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
Has anybody used DHEA cream or lotion for scar healing?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2010
Skin Answer A17251
Hi,
Welcome to the forum and I am glad to help you out. DHEA cream helps to fade and remove the blemishes and spots associated with aging or sun damaged skin. DHEA cream is also helpful in treating sunburn, psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis. The body's natural production of DHEA falls from about 30 mg day at age 25-30 to under 6 mg per day in men over 50 and after menopause in women.

In fact, DHEA levels in the skin of both men and women over age 50 is around 80% LESS than the levels found in those under 30. There's no scientific evidence of the use of DHEA cream in causing the healing of the scars. However, I'll suggest consulting a dermatologist for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: healing, cream, skin
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.