Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Desarda Repair

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
Views counter-views on Desarda Repair as I am consedering this option.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mark19401
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
Experienced User
1) if you want it performed by the father of this technique, you'll have to go to india. i do not advise going abroad for ANY surgical treatment - you forfeit your recourse to legal action if you ever need it.

2) there are only a handful of people, at most maybe a dozen, that do this in the usa

3) it's a fairly newer approach to layering the tissues, so you don't have years of evidence to back up whether the repair has long lasting properties - something to think about

overall, my tone is a little more cautious about this repair, for many reasons - not enough years of it being used, surgeons who are adding it to their repertoire of techniques and they haven't been practicing it for years.
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
Hi Fuerza..Yes thanks..but I am bringing this exact point.Why people who already had this repair,come forward to say something for or against this method---yes it is great OR No,dont go for it-its crap.
My whole motto is to obtain honest comments from past patients
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
Experienced User
I'm not too sure what you are trying to say with "I am bringing this exact point", but best of luck in your search.
|

replied April 8th, 2012
I would like an answer also (from people who have had it done).
|

replied April 11th, 2012
There are 7 listed on the Desarda website who do it in the US. 2 in CA, 2 in NJ, 1 in TX, 1 in FL and 1 in GA. I am researching the one in Fort Myers, FL since it is close to Tampa. Dr. Robert Tomas has done over 500 and has been doing Desarda for 4 years.
|

replied April 12th, 2012
Mark, Please let us know what you find out. I have an appointment next week with Dr. Parvez to talk about the Desarda surgery. As of this point, I haven't heard any negatives about the surgery, only good experiences. I sent a message to forum member bullwinkle to see how he is doing because he had the surgery done last year by Dr. Parvez.
|

replied April 12th, 2012
mmafan, I called Dr. Tomas and the staff was very helpful and the doctor called me back the same day and answered any questions I had. It is cheaper than mesh repairs (around $3000 as a cash patient).
|

replied April 30th, 2012
Desarda repair
Hi friends,
I had my surgery by Desarda repair on pune on 17th April 2012.I will keep you posted on my recovery.
|

replied May 7th, 2012
Aryendra- I hope you are doing well after your surgery. I am having the Desarda done by Dr. Parvez tomorrow. I will keep everyone updated on how it goes & how my recovery goes.
|

replied May 14th, 2012
So I had the Desarda performed (on the right side) on the morning of Tues, May 8th, and I wanted to give a little insight into what I have been going through. I have been in a lot of pain each day, with most of it being in the area of the incision. I also have had some occasional pain in my side, almost like a bad side ache. I have been keeping the pain down with meds but nothing stops the really bad sharp pains in the incision area when I move the wrong way, tense up, cough, or sneeze. Coughing is the Worst! I have been sleeping on my left side with a pillow between my knees or on my back with pillows under my knees. There is very minor discomfort when I sleep in these positions. The day I had the surgery, I was walking from my bed to the restroom, under my own power and upright (after taking a few mins to straighten up). I have been going out every day with my wife when she runs errands so that I can get some walking done. I am not walking more than 20 mins at a time, and most of the time it is a lot less than that. I still have quite a bit of discomfort as I get in and out of the car and as I walk around. I will post another update in several more days.
|

replied June 2nd, 2012
Mmafan? Any updates on your recovery?
|

replied June 3rd, 2012
It has been just under a month since my surgery. I saw the doctor a couple of weeks ago and he said I am healing slower than expected but not to worry. Different people heal at different rates. It also didn't help that I tripped over my cat a few days before my follow up and caused my self a slight set back. When walking, I mostly have a normal stride and normal pace. I haven't been walking as much as I should but I can do a couple of miles without any problem. I still have some painful days but not debilitating pain. Even though I would like to still take my pain meds, I have chosen to only take one dose before bed. I do take ibuprofen several times per day to help out. I still have some soreness between the incision and my hip bone (maybe where the oblique was cut). The healing ridge had stuck out further than the hernia (I had a small hernia) but it has gone down quite a bit and it should not stick out at all within a week or two. The incision is numb but it is tender around the incision. I am still taping a gauze pad over the incision so that my clothing does not rub on it. I have another follow up appointment at the end of next week. I'll try to post again after that.
|

replied June 3rd, 2012
Thanks for the response. I'm very seriously considering the Desarda repair at this point. I sent an email to my local doctor here in Texas, trying to find some info about him and the surgeries he has performed. I fully expected it would be at least Monday before I heard back from him. (does anytbody know anythinv about dr. Michael Darnell in Texas who is listed on dr. Desarda's website by chance?). If I like his answers I will set up an appointment to discuss the surgery with him in person.

With everything said and done are you still glad you went with the desarda repair over the other repairs? Hope everything goes well with your recovery and appointment!
|

replied June 12th, 2012
The doctor said that things are looking good. He was very happy that my healing ridge is almost completely gone. Being that I still have some slight discomforts, he took me off work for another 2 weeks to be safe. He said the discomfort (bruise-like, not pain) next to my hip bone is normal because that is what was used to repair the tear. He said it will feel that way for about 4 months. I also have tenderness in my testicle, which he was not worried about and said to wear my supporter until the tenderness disappears. I was luck enough to not have any swelling or bruising in my testicle. I am very glad I had the Desarda repair. I don't know how recovery usually goes with mesh but I have read some horror stories (and I read some good stories). It is just a good piece of mind for me to know that I do not have to worry about complications from the mesh and I feel my recovery has been good. I also feel very fortunate to have had Dr. Parvez perform my surgery since he was the first one to do it in the U.S. Slowandlow - Keep us updated and good luck!
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
Glad you seem to be progressing along nicely. Keep us posted as things change.

I have a surgery set up with Dr. Michael Darnell here in Texas on July 5th. He is planning to use the desarda method unless he feels my hernia (a pretty large one) is too big to comfortably use the desarda method. With any luck I will be having the desarda repair, although I have fairly strong fears my hernia is going to be too large for him to confidently repair with the desarda method.

Regardless, ill report back after whichever repair I end up having, once im back on my feet enough to sit at the computer
|

replied March 8th, 2013
Hoping I can update the discussion of the Desarda technique for inguinal hernia repair. I am 57 male from Wilmington, NC. I just had my large (bigger than a golf ball)left-side inguinal hernia fixed. It was an open repair, they used a spinal for anesthesia. I arrived at the hospital at 6:45 AM and departed 2:30 PM that day. I had decided I would need to travel to get this repair done. I even thought about going to Florida because the Dr. there, seemed to have the most experience in the US. Unfortunately, they do not accept my insurance so I had to choose the next best Dr. on the Desarda list who was actually closer to me and was near my sister's home. I guess I was looking at the other because of his skill-set and also because I did not want to inconvenience anyone in my friend's or family--I'm unmarried. But it all worked-out because my sister, of course, would put me up for two weeks and Dr. turned-out to be a really good surgeon. My hernia had been diagnosed a year before was initially asymptomatic but had just started to cause discomfort when trying to relieve myself of anything that wanted to escape, ie gas, air, laughter, urine, bm. I had just had a prostatectomy months before the hernia's appearance so I was annoyed that some of these symptoms exacerbated the recovery of my continence and my ablility to easily pass urine. I knew I could not indefinitely postpone the surgery both for safety and for quality of life. That's also how I had viewed my prostate cancer which was stage 1; there were no symptoms, but I was advised to deal with it due to my age and good health. I was annoyed then because I would have to succumb to either surgery or radiation both of which would change the urinary continen and sexual potency.

I decided to forego a scheduled mesh plug and patch repair by a local general surgeon recommended by my GP after casually deciding to do a preop investigation into mesh repairs and lo I was amazed at how much discussion there was about bad results. I decided to cancel my surgery which was about two weeks away so I could investigate further what I should do. One tack I chose to persue was to find simply a very skilled surgeon. But then the whole validity of the standard mesh repair was called in question. I read the in-depth journal by Fred Amir "Mesh-free Hernia Repair"which was really the seminal influence on getting a non-mesh repair. Shouldice sounded good based on reading its long history in their web site. Fortunately I was certain I could not apply my insurance to health care in Canada so I stopped thinking about that alternative. Also Desarda takes that technique to task as it is still a tension type repair, held together by using stainless steel sutures at many layers of tissue in the area--that also scared me off.

So as I had decided to look into the other Dr. and found his practice's web site I began to set-up my appointments to get on schedule to have surgery with them. I would need to fax a whole battery of pre-op test results, chest X-ray, EKG, blood tests, urine tests, physical exam and my Dr.'s approval for fitness for surgery. So those tests got scheduled and done and faxed to Kaufman. Then medical forms downloaded from his practice's website were also filled-out and submitted to them via fax. Pre-op consultation, op date and post-op exam were all scheduled within a month of first contact. The practice seems very busy, alot of patients alot of different types of surgeries, both Drs. have a number of specialized skills (these are not general surgeons); in fact, I see under one that he also specializes in complicated recurring inguinal hernia repairs. The Drs. operate on Tuesdays and Thursdays. They have patient appointments MWF. One thing to not get frustrated by is that you can only communicate by phone on Tuesday and Thursday with the person who sets-up your surgery appointments etc. So don't be put-off that the communication can sometimes lag--it is worth it to stick with them.

In the preop visit with the Dr. he said he does believe in using mesh; he belives it is the quality of the surgical expertise and the mesh product that produces the high efficacy of the mesh repair he thrmentioned stats that said mesh, if done properly has slightly better non-recurrence than Desarda. But he said if I wanted the Desarda, I was a good candidate and it is a good technique. I subsequently found by asking him that he decided to learn the Desarda technque because a patient requested surgery without mesh and wanted Desarda. The Dr. corresponded with Desarda and was able to learn the technique and has been using for 4 or 5 years. His associate in his practice learned it from him and has used it for 2 or so years.

Sorry this rambling and lacking organization, but to continue...the operation is significantly serious that I couldn't think about not being cared for for a couple of days after you're released and then I really wouldn't want to travel to get home until I was sufficiently ambulatory. In my case I was sore for a good three days, I certainly couldn't drive or even be a passanger for a 500 mile car trip until now which is 8 days post-op. I had a bit to eat upon arrival from hospital to my sister's house the day of the op. Then got myself upstairs, carefully got myself onto the bed and lay down with the icepack on my wound, I took a pain med and quickly fell asleep. I wokeup a few hours later to urinate and then went back to bed to repeat the process for the rest of the night--I took just one more pain med but the up and down to go to the bathroom was my main activity and what prevented me from sleeping the night through. The main difficulty the first few days is simply avoiding putting too much streess and strain on the side of your body where the surgery was done. I had decided to stop the pain meds after the first night so that I would be aware how much pain and where it was coming would be more evident without the masking of it. But there was nothing extreme or unusual or unexpected and you could have a sense of a gradual improvement. I figured I would not push too much, rest when I was tired and when it felt good to try some walking. I just have to be very thankful that my sister and my brother-in-law were so willing to have me lounging around their house, it was a luxury for me that I will always be grateful for.
|

replied April 24th, 2013
I posted this as a reply to another question: Reposting.

Hi All,

I have been to these internet forums very rigorously as I was in search for right information to find the right method of surgery for my right inguinal hernia. My hernia is into the scrotum and the size of a grapefruit. I am 34 years old and have waited for around 15 years to go for surgery as mine was asymptomatic.

I decided on Shouldice first and later on changed my decision based on few factors like 1. Cannot talk to the surgeon who operates you, well before the surgery 2. Post operative support in case of pain.

I even picked my surgery date at Shouldice but cancelled 5 days before.

My only option and best option as per the Internet searches I made was to go with Desarda repair and chose Dr.Robert Tomas, Fort Myers, Florida. Right after my first call with him, I was more stronger on my decision. He was very pleasant and a very good listener. He asked me to send some pictures of my hernia. He later confirmed that he could perform surgery with no mesh.

I scheduled my surgery on April 12 2013 and flew to Florida 2 days before. Had visited Doctor 4/11 and my first meeting with him was pretty impressive. He was very confident that he could perform my surgery with no mesh. Surgery went very well as per the doctor on 4/12. I was immediately on Oxycodine(pain pill) and antibiotics, stool softener and continued them for 10 days.
First Day: No pain as I think my anesthesia was still working.
Second day: Pain while getting into the ned and out of the bed. was able to walk slowly
Third day/Fourth Day: Was better than second daya nd I see that day by day, I have been feeling better.
Fourth Day: My first shower and stool post surgery
Fifth day: Doctor check up, and he mentioned that I could fly back.
Flying back was little painful as I preferred to take wheel chair from airlines as I do not want to walk longer distances in the airport between terminals.

I started taking iBrupofen 200 mg on 11th day. Today is my 12th day and I stopped taking the pills.

And I don't have any pain as of now. As my job allows me to work from home, I was working from home the first week and started going to office from 11th day.

I sincerely suggest Dr.Robert Tomas's Desarda method for inguinal hernia surgery. Feel free to ask me any questions related to the surgery and I will very happy to answer.

One problem I had before the surgery was, I could not find much information on Dr.RObert Tomas surgery and his success rate. Probably, everybody was happy with their surgeries and were never coming back to these websites. However, I made my decision to post this as it could provide lot of peace to many people and also some direction if they are in confusion just like I was before my surgery.
|

replied October 25th, 2013
Help this YounG Lad
Hi,
I am 25 years old and just returned from the gym the other day and noticed a small lump in my right groin. Googled - found hernia probablity - so rushed off to a doctor.
He is a surgeon 12 yrs experienced and he confirmed its Right Inguinal Hernia. The swelling has subsided for the moment now.
Kindly advise - what I need to do - Shall I opt for a surgery or leave it as it is for time being?
Also Helping Hand13 or any other wo had Desarda treatment - please give ur feedback and recovery rate etc after 6 months or 1-2 yrs of having the surgery.
Thanks!
|
Quick Reply