Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Depression is the #1 Cause of Alcoholism, Drug Abuse, and Other

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Depression can be an all-pervasive emotional-mental-physical source of misery. It's hard to hurt so completely and for so long without seeking some relief from the pain

Almost any drug or distraction will do. Alcohol is the most commonly self-prescribed painkiller for depression. It is readily available and socially acceptable. Unfortunately, alcohol is chemically a depressant. After its brief euphoric effects, it only worsens the depression. This is especially true when alcohol is taken in the quantities some people consume in order to obtain mental and emotional oblivion.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied July 28th, 2016
Depression is a danger disease you can say...
But
Yoga and Meditation are one of the best ways to debase the Depression problems...
|

replied August 23rd, 2016
Thank you for your discussion forum post and thank you for talking about this subject. I know that it is hard to talk about. Depression is when people are sad and they cannot get any relief from their sadness; unless they seek professional help or they go to a support group. I was diagnosed as having depression and what helped me was to do yoga, talk walks outside, and volunteer. These things help me because it puts my mind off the depression and sadness.
|

replied September 19th, 2016
I was diagnosed by my doctor as having depression and anxiety in the hospital. My doctor says that I tend to become more depressed in the fall and winter when things are changing colors in the leaves and it becomes darker at night and earlier in the wintertime. The doctor wanted me to use a sun lamp that would help with my depression. It is a type of depression that pertains to light. The lamp did work and now I look forward to the changing of seasons and the winter months where it is so dark. I think that getting a sun lamp would be beneficial, but I would strongly check with your doctor first. I hope this helps you.
|

replied October 19th, 2016
I was diagnosed in 2002 as having depression and anxiety. I went to a psychiatrist and she said that I have what is called "seasonal depression." I tend to get sad or depressed when it is fall and winter due to the increasingly amount of darkness outside. The psychiatrist wanted me to try a sun lamp where I would get light and feel better and not be so sad. I am thankful that the light has helped me not be so depressed anymore.
|

replied November 17th, 2016
Depression Symptoms
Depression is a condition that is hard to diagnose and sometimes can be tricky to treat. It was hard for me when the psych ward diagnosed me as being depressed because my symptoms were not the classified symptoms. So, it can be challenging to see the classic symptoms of depression. What helped me with my depression is writing in a journal and using stress balls. By doing these things, it has helped my depression symptoms.
|

replied December 15th, 2016
Depression
Depression is a hard thing. It is not just sadness. Sadness is just one of the factors. For me who has depression, I have noticed that I also have anxiety and anger as well. I think that it is best to talk to your doctor about all of the events and even do a symptoms journal so that you can write all of the symptoms down and see if there are any patterns.
|

replied January 16th, 2017
How to help with depression?
I was diagnosed with depression in 2002 by the psychologist and the eating disorder unit in the hospital. I was given the drug Remeron so I could sleep better. I have been on it ever since. I also did some yoga and art and that really made a huge difference. You can take medication, but exercise and doing art helps also.
|

replied February 19th, 2017
I totally agree with that statement because I have depression and I know that if I did not seek any professional help when I did, then I would be drinking alcohol just to cope. That is why it is so important to seek help whenever possible.
|

replied March 7th, 2017
I have been experiencing some of the following signs and symptoms most of the day, every day, for at least two weeks, you may be suffering from depression:

Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood
Feelings of hopelessness, or pessimism
Irritability
Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities
Decreased energy or fatigue
Moving or talking more slowly
Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions
Difficulty sleeping, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
|
Quick Reply