Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

depression and copper coil

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
hello there just wondered if anyone knows of links with the copper coil and depression.I have suffered from depression and anxiety in the past but had my copper coil fitted around 2 years ago and when I look back I have never had a happy day since I am very low and lacking in energy aand react terribly to stress and my moods are out of control. I have not had much luck in the last few years which could be the cause of this depression but wondered if there is any medical evidence to link this to the copper coil.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper yaz01nel03
|

replied March 10th, 2011
thats strange,no ofence.when i got mine fitted the nurse told me there were no side effects.do u ever skip a period with the copper coil?
|

replied August 8th, 2011
hi just read the post on copper coil and depression and had to reply if there is anyone out there who is going through the same as me . I had the copper coil fitted after i suffered really bad side effects from my mirena , yet again im having to have it removed as last night was the final straw i have had weeks of depression insomnia anxiety attacks to the point where i rarely leave the house i have no energy i am anemic . i have always been skinny i have piled the weight on and cant look at myself in the mirror without crying due to putting on weight i am an emotional wreck. my partner and i have argued constantly because i am paranoid and have no sex drive . Last nite i completely flipped out after my partner suggested we have sex i then cut my arms to pieces and paced the room for hrs on end till i was so exhausted i fell asleep. I have turned from a rational sweet natured person into something i dont recognise all because of the side effects of the copper on my body. if anyone else is going through this my advice to u is have it taken out .
|

replied December 12th, 2011
Hi
I have had Mirena and it did not agree (bloating, weight gain, feeling pregnant), so I got a copper coil fitted. I am beginning to wonder if I too have been suffering the ill effects of too much copper. I don't think my doctor will believe me if I say this is reason for wanting it removed.
Let's just say that in the 14 mths that I have had it, I have not been myself. I have had terrible anxiety attacks, palpitaions, fight or flight reaction to the slightest things. I am now taking tri-cyclic anti-depressants (cannot take SSRIs as they make me vomit). I have been putting it all down to circumstances, but it cannot just be that. I used to be a fairly level-headed person but now I feel quite loopy! My self confidence has crashed and I often think I'd be better off not here at all!!
I am going to go to family planning and get it removed. Who knows, maybe I'll see a difference?
|

replied August 12th, 2012
Coil/depression
I had the non hormonal coil fitted wen my youngest was a year old she is coming on 6 now so just booked in to have it removed. My life was/is great as in family career financially but since getting the coil fitted-not at any point before-I have constant panic attacks feel anxious hate going out. Asked doctor who says its not coil related but I think it is a major coincidence. Going to go cool free for a few months and see how I go and will continue to pester my husband re getting the snip! Wish me luck! X
|