Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Depressed after mother's death

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Okay, i might as well start at the beginning.... im 17, just turned 17 on march 6th, my mother died in september, I was at work, came home and found her dead in her room from a heart attack. Ever since then i have been living with my cousin. I haven't talked to anyone about my feelings, just kept them bottled up. Well, yesturday i randomly went through my cousins phone, because i know her boyfriend doesn't like me and i wanted to see if they talked about me, and there was messages between them of her boyfriend basically saying he hated me, hated me living in his house, and was sick of living with me. He also was talking my cousin into, and im quoting him on this one " Kicking his ass out" After viewing this and telling my cousin about i offered to move out with a friend of mine who is getting a house... I get 700 $ a month from SS, and i work part time...What should i do? Should i try to stay at my cousins? Move out? Im so depressed...i already tried killing myself by taking 14 pain killers... It didn't work, all i did was get sick ... A weak attempt i know, but im not man enough to slit my wrist or jump out of my window.... i need some help, im so depressed and confused...Please, someone talk to me...someone give me advice...anybody
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 10th, 2009
sorry you're having troubles
it's always tough living with relatives. Think of what you'd be happier with- dealing with this siuation or moving? I'd move. And sweetie, you're so young. You've lost your mom. I lost my dad at yr age; you should find a grief counselor. They help, they really do. Also, you can talk to me. I've been thru losing my parents, my husband and 2 brothers. I care about you. It'll be okay, but you need room to feel yr feelings without being judged for it. I don't think it's healthy for you to stay there. Good luck and God bless you. You've got a lot to deal with, but look at all you've got to offer, too. You'll be okay. Smile
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2009
Supporter
when my 78 year old aunt died i mourned for four months, then my boyfriend committed suciside. i didnt even know he was depressed. so for another four months i isolated myself from the world, so a total of 8 months i was so hurt.
you have to find a place where your comfortable and you know that your welcome. dont put yourself in a worse living situation trying to move away from your cousin.
ps. it's good that you know the truth but you had no right reading her text mess.
|

replied December 30th, 2009
sounds like your having a hard time... my mom died in april, she didn't even get to see me turn 14. i miss her a lot. but really i wouldn't move, i would stay with my cousin. i don't live with my dad, i live with my sister and her hateful husband. it's better to stay with family, but you can't stay sad forever. it can't always rain.
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2010
Experienced User
READ MY PROFILE AND YOULL FEEL BETTER IN COMPARISON.
|

replied August 7th, 2010
Hi, I lost my mom in January and I am 47, mom was 85. Even though it was pretty much expected, I miss her very much and think of her and cry often but believe me it does and will get better. I would definitely touch base with a grief counselor and talk openly to them about your feelings, it will help you. God bless you, take care and realize that life is a gift that you want to cherish not just get through one day at a time.
|

replied October 14th, 2010
PLEASE READ
I lost my mom in May to a brain anuresym. She was only 46 years old.. I am 26 but she was my best friend in the world. I just realized today...(5 months later) how depressed I really am. It is going to be a long tough road, but stay strong and take care of yourself. DO NOT STAY in an environment that brings you down more or where you feel unwanted. Surround yourself with people who care about you and make you feel wanted. Be careful though not to surround yourself with people who may influence you to do things that you normally wouldn't do. Please take care of your self and DO NOT take your own life sweetie...stay strong so you can see your mother again! Make her proud until you are able to meet with her again. God BLess!!
|

replied January 29th, 2011
Hi
Soooo sorry everyone.

I was wondering how everyone is doing these days? I am only in month 3 after losing the most important person in my life, my Mom. I find some comfort in knowing I am not alone. That being said, I did not get out of bed today until 5:30 pm. Thought to myself, what is the point? Is everyone back at work? I can only manage part-time (60%) now and feel pressure from my office.

Thanks
Andrea
|

replied May 18th, 2011
Hi My Name Is Amanda and I Am 17 And I Just Lost My Mom About Two Months Ago So I Am Trying To Find Other People That Went Through The Same Thing As Me....I Totally Can Feel Your Pain Expecially Right Now So I Was Just WOndering If It Got Easier For You?
|

replied April 11th, 2012
i know u only 17 i lost my mum... she died 4 days after her 71st bday but she was like 40 something in my eyes. i lost her after losing 2 babies through miscarriage.... i know she is in heaven looking after my babies... there is not a morning i dont wake up thinking about her ... she died 2 years ago and i still grieve... she sent me a miracle .. i finally had another baby born 11 months after she died .. dont give up your mum is always looking down on you.. everyday i look at my new son now 15 months and can see her eyes smiling at me ... he looks soo like my mum xxx
|

replied April 11th, 2012
i know u only 17 i lost my mum... she died 4 days after her 71st bday but she was like 40 something in my eyes. i lost her after losing 2 babies through miscarriage.... i know she is in heaven looking after my babies... there is not a morning i dont wake up thinking about her ... she died 2 years ago and i still grieve... she sent me a miracle .. i finally had another baby born 11 months after she died .. dont give up your mum is always looking down on you.. everyday i look at my new son now 15 months and can see her eyes smiling at me ... he looks soo like my mum xxx
|

replied November 13th, 2011
I just lost my dad 10 days ago. he was ot sick at all. he is 65 years old. Is till can't believe. I believe I will not be able to continue my life without him. can't feel I will ever enjoy anything is life anymore... life is not worth anything at all!!!!
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
Kodo ,
I'm so sorry for your loss. I loss my Mom on Nov. 18th. My heart goes out to you. I feel like we're living in a dream! I hope you can go to some grief counseling because I am..... I have to because I can't eat or sleep.
Good luck to you.
Leslie20
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
Loss of my mother
Sorry for your losses.....
I just lost my mother suddenly (2 weeks ago)....
I'm 43 with a great husband and two small children, but I'm in the biggest shock and
Grief in my entire life. I talked to my Mom everyday and saw her weekly.
The pain is so great , that I can barely eat or sleep.
My mother went in for surgery and went into cardiac arrest. We got the dreadful phone call at 3am in the morning. I still think that I'm dreaming..... This can't be true. I definitely need some counseling because I can't do the normal things like eat, sleep, etc....
My mother's loss is so unbelievable. My Dad, sister and two brothers are in shock, too.
How can I get through this terrible pain in my body so I can actually mourn her ??
|

replied April 11th, 2012
hi also 43 lost my mum 2 years ago... pain is unbelievable know what ur going through .. nothing is the same anymore... mum had cancer the doctors said they could control it but i couldnt deal with it so tried to block out.. but mum knew .. couldnt talk to her about it and as mums know everything she didnt talk to me about it but she had the worst ever death.. cancer ..miss her soo much
|

replied February 15th, 2012
I lost my dad almost 10years ago, when I was 15. Even though it was expected, it was still very hard on me-I was daddy's little girl. I used to be teased at school as well, so that didn't help. Thankfully, my mom and I moved to FL and I got away from my bully classmates. I still cry sometimes about it all and often wonder how different my life may have been. With time I've learned that it was better for him-he would've suffered a lot more (he had already lost his 2 legs, was in dialysis, had cardiac failure and dry gangrene in both hands). You deff need to speak with someone about it...I know is a very sentimental topic but you can't bottle it all up. Good luck!
|

replied August 24th, 2012
I am truly sorry for every one that also lost an important person in there life, their mother, i lost my mom 4 moths ago, suddenly from a heart attack, im shattered, im 16 years old and at a critical point where i need my mother, Ive been teased at school & have had people tell me things like my mom didn't love me because she didn't fight, Ive had teachers talk down to me, & this all of this has caused me to be depressed i really need someone to talk to, some one who has been through what i am going through and someone who understands.
|

replied November 22nd, 2013
There's real life doe.
hey man, my mom was diagnosed with an incurable, terminal brain disease called Multiple System Atrophy two years ago and doesn't have much left as of today. I'm only 18 and a freshman in college who's been fighting with depression for since i was 11. But during this time, i was like k... i'm done. i desperately want to die, God reached out for me and cured me in sooo many ways. Like emotionally, physically, and i just felt him secure me in his love. I used to be soo annoyed when people talked about this cheesy God stuff to me until I actually met him. Today, i'm still struggling with a lot of things but one person that has given me the world and true life through his son pretty much covers it. I mean it with aaall my heart when i say Jesus loves you.

soups long but, <3
|