Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

depo provera constant bleeding (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I had gotten the depo shot in January 2009, and we are now June 2009 and i have had a menstral period for the past 5 months, there is occasions where it stops but not for long. Usually menstration is heavy for 5-6 hours and becomes lighter as the period progresses everyday. I had went to the hospital and they had given me a pregnancy test which came out negative. But due to my period being irregular before the shot i am unsure if there is any sort of cure or medicine that can be given to me to prevent or stop the menstration? any sugestions? 5 months is a long time to be bleeding (not spotting).
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Gomezcat
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2009
Supporter
if you got the depo in january, did you renew if in march?
i had the depo and had so many side effects that i only had one shot. my period stayed on for 1 1/2month and i took a combination birth control pill (both estrogen,and progestrin) and my period stopped in four days after the birth control pills.
the depot is a horrible birth control to be on because everyone i known had gained weight from it. i would feel really sick when i dont eat. and did the doctor tell you that your period could stay on for up to a year. that's why your having that problem.
if you got the depo shot in march, and when it's time for you to renew it in may, you should get birth control pills instead.
if you havnt taken the shot in march, you should get on birth control.
i really think that if i didnt get on the pill i would still be bleeding from the depo.
the birth control pills is suppose to relate your period.
i had dysfunctional uterine bleeding, my period stayed on for weeks and the doctor's didnt know why after taking all their tests to rule our cancer, low grade infection, fibroid tumors. i dont know why i agreeed to get on the depo when so many people complained about it. i dont know why my doctor put me on it when i already had a bleeding problem. i guess some people dont have side effects and he was hoping that i wouldnt.
you should read all the stories on this site about the depo shot.
good luck
|

replied June 17th, 2009
Thanks so much and i didnt get it in march but i only went on depo because i cant take pills, they give me side affects too i tried 4 different kinds so im not sure, maybe i'll just try another
thank you Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2009
Supporter
they say when you get to your 3rd or 4th shot that your periods will stop completely. so if you are able to endure this just a little longer it might benefit you. because if you get off the depo like me, your periods may still continue because it takes a while for it to get out your system.
my doctor put me on a low dose birth control pill.
did your doctor tell you why your body isnt taking to any birth control pills? what kind of side effects did you have? are you having any other side effects from the depo?
|

replied June 17th, 2009
from the depo im not having any other side affects, occasional abdominal pains but they pass. and no they said my body just might not be able to handle hormones being placed into my body or something stupid like that:s
i might get them to put me back on a pill...
but if i stop taking pills later on down the road will i start bleeding rediculously again or will it ever go back to normal?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2009
Supporter
it might benfit you to stay on the shot. it's up to you.
like i said i have dysfunctional uterine bleeding, so i cant stop taking the pill, because i know i will bleed a lot.
if you get on the pill, with your history you might have problems, and i dont want you to come back to the conclusion that you should take the depo again.
but when i was bleeding a lot it put a dent in my relationship.
so you have to figure out what's best for you.
i have never known anyone who had problems with the pill other than weight gain.
for you last question, i honestly dont know, unless your body did that when you were talking the pill and went off it.
|

replied June 18th, 2009
i dont know the hospital is making an appointment with a gyno for me, i just have to wait for the call back.
i'll ask him about it all and see what he thinks i should do...?
maybe he'll have an idea about what would be best for my body... on another site someone had stated something about talking 1000 mg vitamine c pills with estrogin pills until the bleeding stops and after it stops only take the estragin until (if) it starts again.
i think i will bring everything up with him and see what he thinks
|

replied October 30th, 2009
i have been on the depo shot for almost a year now ( november 16) will be exactly a year and i have had nothing but a horrible time on it... and let me tell you the whole oh it your period will stop soon crap isnt true i have not had a break from my period since the week after i got the shot so i have had my period for almost a year straight now not spotting but actual period. i think i spend more money on tampons then i do anything else... depo provera is a horrbile form of birth control and im done after this last shot
|

replied January 21st, 2010
8 months :(
Im in the same situation as Barbie. I had three doses of the depo shot and im going on 8 months strong of my period! And im one of those people that cant move when they have it, im in so much pain, i have now become anemic and can hardly handle half a day of work. I would NEVER suggest that stupid shot. IT has messed me up beyond belief!
|

replied January 30th, 2010
irregular bleeding on/after depo provera
i was on depo for 5 years with no problems what so ever. my periods stopped completely after i got my first shot. i would only bleed if i was late getting my next shot, and the day after i got it all the bleeding would stop.
however,
i came off it, 3 months later got pregnant, had my baby and my periods returned pretty much to normal ( they we'rnt always on time but they always lasted 5-7 days)
then about 1 1/2 years after giving birth i decided to go back on it again.
this is when the problems started. i was bleeding nearly every day since i got the shot. going between full on heavy bright red, going darker but still heavy, lighter, then heavy again. if im lucky i'll get 1 day with no blood.
i didnt get the next shot coz of this and its been 7 months since my last shot was due, making 9 months altogether of continuous bleeding.
im just waiting for my periods to go back to normal, but im not going to go back on depo again.
iv heard irregular bleeding is common if you come off then go back on depo. im disappointed because i had such a good experience on it the first time.
|

replied March 5th, 2010
Lord! I found this post and thought there was some help for me. I received the depo shot in Sept. because I was getting ready to have the essure procedure done which doesn't take effect for 3 months. Because of that my doctor had me get the shot so I wouldn't get pregnant during that 3 months. I started my period about a week after getting the shot and have no stopped since. I've had maybe 5 days of no bleeding but that's in the last 6 months. I'm going to call my doctor on Monday and see what they say. From the sound of it - it doesn't sound like there is anything they'll be able to do for me though.
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2010
same thing happened to me. i'm 34..my periods were always irregular since i was a teenager...to make a long story short..i have 2 teenagers (14 & 15 that i had when i was 19 and 20)...got pregnant when i was 27...had abortion (seriously traumatized me)...had depo shot right after the procedure...bled for 3-4 months and didn't get another shot...went on birth control and a few months later got pregnant again...had baby...he is 4 1/2 now! got my tubes tied and now my periods are like clockwork...on time everytime and last about 4 days...if you're not planning on having children i would suggest having your tubes tied!
|

replied March 7th, 2010
I have been on the internet for quite a while trying to figure out why I'm bleeding non-stop. Before getting depo I had been bleeding for five weeks and I got the depo on 28th of Jan and I'm still bleeding. I went to Emerg coz I tend to pass out during my periods and the doc prescribed cyklokapron which is meant to stop bleeding but it did not work. I am definitely going back to birth control pills coz i am practically passing out every day if not twice a day. unfortunately my doc never told me that i might not stop bleeding. So my question is can I take birth control pills while on depo if someone has an idea? or do i have to wait till the end of the three month period.
|

replied March 8th, 2010
I have had exactly the same problem, for almost 9 months now. I had my last injection a month and a half ago and theres still no sign of the bleeding stopping. Will it just wear off on its own or will my eostrogen levels just not recover?
|

replied March 12th, 2010
gosh i want this to end!!
i am 18 and i got my first dose on december 1st 2009 and i didnt take any more because i got so irritable my boyfriend told me not to take anymore.. and i have had one period since i got off and i bleed for forever! and its so heavy i passed out and went to the er. if i only took one dose will it take as long for my period to regulate back out?? i cant even have sex because i never know when im gonna start bleeding or not.. plz help..
|

replied April 8th, 2010
depo continuous bleeding
I first got the shot this year in febuary 10th the doctor didnt tell me it stops you getting pregnant because you cant have sex anymore its now april and my bleeding still hasnt stop''d im going crazy and my partners refuses to sleep with me while im bleeding its actualy ruining my relationship will not be getting this drug anymore doesnt seem like anyones getting any answer''s just everyone saying they have the same problem im angry at my doctor if i had known there was even a small chance of this happening i would never have gotten it Sad i wonder if there is something you can get to reverse it i cant go on like this for another month . never ever taking this again
|

replied April 8th, 2010
I''m having almost the same problem, I got the shot in January 2010, and since then I haven''t had continuous bleeding, but I haven''t gone more than I''d say 3 days without starting. It''s driving me insane. I keep calling the doctor and they keep telling me it''s normal and to give it time and it will even out. It''s funny how when I got it the only thing they told me MIGHT happen was that my periods would stop... didn''t mention that this was a possibility at all. VERY ANNOYING!
|

replied April 12th, 2010
Hey I am bledding for 14 days now since I started the birth control pill Diane (cyproterone + etinylestradiol 0,035mcg). What can I do to stop bledding? Please help, Im from Brazil.
|

replied April 16th, 2010
I am so mad, I received the shot about 6 months ago. I have been bleeding ever since, It will stop once in awhile and then start right back up. I don''t have insurance so I haven''t gone to the doctor. I''ve been just waiting it out, now I am getting worried, I have been anemic since I was a kid and no matter how much Iron I take I tend to always be slightly anemic. I can''t wait to see the blood results from this. And planned parenthood put me on this because I had a lump in my breast and thought It was a cyst. They said depo was my only option. Awesome, the solution solved one problem and caused another, I am never going to planned parenthood again!!
|

replied April 20th, 2010
Thank you all so much!!!
Bless all the women who have shared their experiences on here!
I started on Depo on the 4th of December 2009 and had my second shot on the 26th of February 2009.
The first 2 or so months were fine. Period free. Smile
And then about 2 weeks before I was due for my second shot on the 26th of Feb I started bleeding. I wasn''t too fazed as I though my body was just not used to it.
But even after I took the injection I bled constantly, without fail from about 14h30 every afternoon until late night. Then I''d be fine all morning and then it would start again like clockwork in the afternoon. It freaks me out! Then eventually after a few weeks I went to the Nurse and she gave me these 7 tablets and said that it should clear up.
For exactly 7 days after I finished the tablets I was back to normal. But lo and behold, on the 8th day my period was back with a VENGENCE! The pain was insane and I must have used every curse word in my vocab that night.
And since then, my period has been constantly going. Like reruns of the lamest sitcom on late night tv.

I''ve been freaking out about every possible reason for this.
I''ve gone from Cancer, Endometriosis, Cysts and all the way to some unknown disease unique to me that is going to kill me slowly! I''ve been watching nothing but medical shows in the hopes of a story relating to this bloody injection.

But thanks to all the posts here I think I may be giving up on Depo.
Rather the 5 days of a period from hell every month than this nightmare.

Thanks ladies.
Smile
|

replied February 14th, 2012
Depo
Hi never realized it was so bad I thought it was the easier option I have had 2 boys had always been on pill but thought this would b easier I have had 2 injections my next one due in march first month ok next 2 irregular and gained weight after my next one didn't bleed for neally a month then have bleed constant for 2 months extremely heavy so I went to doctor other day and they prescribed ponstan to slow down bleeding and also having a ultrasound to see if it has affected my uterus also recommended having a month of no contraception to get my body to recover
Something I was just thinking about was after I started my first depo I then found out I was anaemic they kept asking me do I lose a lot of blood and I do eat meat but I hd just had shot I will no more after scan and tests comeback
Thinking of u all I wil b goin back to taking the pill maybe most should look at doing same I don't know bout u I can't take much more
|

replied March 28th, 2012
DEPO THE DEMON FROM HELL
i started taking depo in dec of 2011 my gyn told me i would spot for a few days and then my period will stop completely for the next two years....wrong....for the first week or so no bleeding no spotting then d spottin started and stopped for abt two days i have been bleeding from since jan of 2012 till today sometimes the bleeding stops @ nite after i shower and resume in the mornings...its causing a blur btwn my nf and i its a big disturbance in our sex life... last week i visited the dr and explained the situation he encouraged me to sit out this three mnths and if the bleeding continues try the IUD or PATCH since i cant take pills
|