Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

depo, bacterial vaginosis and periods

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I got the depo shot in May and was due for another in Spetember but decided against since I am not sexually active and had a 30 pound weight gain. When I came off I had a sporadic period and that was in September but I haven't had a period since. How long till I can expect my period to come back? I only received the depo shot once. Also I had got bacterial vaginosis and had it treated in October and although there is no longer a smell or pinkish creamy discharge. I now have an uncomfortable itch and a brownish disharge..? Did I get it again? It doesn't seem to be the same as the bacterial vaginosis?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2012
Menstruation Answer A40820
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If periods have still not started even after stopping with the Depo shot use, hormonal imbalances, thyroid abnormalities, post-contraceptive-ovarian suppression/failure, ovarian cysts, etc should be ruled out. The presence of symptoms like itching, burning, or foul smell of vaginal discharge and/or the alterations in vaginal discharge color/consistency, etc indicate vaginal infection. Stress of infection can also delay your periods. Visit your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for examination and vaginal swab/smear test (done on the discharge) to identify the causative agent. Get started on treatment as appropriate (based on examination and investigations results) to help you control the symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle. Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid use of tight fitting clothes. Avoid sweat accumulation in the area. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, it is important to get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection, and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.