Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Depession be cured with Antibiotics ?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Hi i have had major depression and anxiety for a number of years now, ive took antidepressents also diazepam for whenever i would go into a full blown panic attack and ive also had counselling.
while these things all helped me get through the rough times they never totally cured my depression
Last week i went to the dentist to get a filling and afterwards he told me that the decay had gone into the root and that there was 50/50 chance i would need root canal or maybe lose the tooth. he gave me a weeks prescription of amoxicillin to take three time a day for a week to stop my tooth becoming infected.
Ive just finshed the antibiotics and my tooth seems fine but i have also noticed a overall positive change in my mood its like i have more energy and have a inner calm that i have not had for a long time, i could actually say i feel great.
Could this have anything to with the antibiotics?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jimhealthfood
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2009
Supporter
these are the side effect of the amoxicllin
Side effects are as those foSide effects include nausea, vomiting, irritability, volatile mood swings, disorientation, aggressiveness and easy fatigue. Loose bowel movements (diarrhea) also may occur.
chick the ingredients of it and compare it with anti depressant
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
Antibiotics
I am on Doxcycline (sp?) for Lyme disease and I also have never felt better mood and energy wise and i just spoke to my mom about that every time I am on antibiotics I have energy and I am not depressed and its not having to do with the lyme disease because I have had 2 major surgeries and I feel the best right after my surgeries and the only thing I can figure is that it was the antibiotics.. I been searching online that is how I found this post.
|

replied December 10th, 2009
Amoxicillin and mood elevation. Antiobiotics.
I had the same thing happen to me in the last few days. I had a root canal and had to take some antibiotics. I started taking Amoxicillin yesterday and noticed my energy and mood level is higher than it has been in years.

Jim.
|

replied March 29th, 2014
The above are old posts but I was Googling. 'Anti biotics cure depression', and found this. I too always feel relieved of my anxiety depression when following a course of anti-biotics. This seems to go against the grain to all the information one usually finds about anti-biotics.One wishes one could understand why. Could bacteria in the gut be causing depression?
|

replied March 29th, 2014
Agree..Most chronic diseases are considered incurable. But if cures are rare, it may only be because doctors and patients rarely try the proper dietary and antibiotic therapies....
|

replied September 28th, 2014
I've had mild depression and anxiety for a couple of years now. Last week I was prescribed amoxicilin for a dental infection and even after the first day I noticed a huge improvement in my mood to the point where it was probably the best I've felt since this depression started. I should mention that I'd just started taking multivitamins too to help my overall health but I've continued with the multivits since finishing the antibiotic dose 6 days ago and my depression returned after a couple of days. I'm going to ask my doctor for another week of amoxicilin just as an experiment and I might ask for blood samples to be taken before and after. I'll post the results here
|

replied September 28th, 2014
Experienced User
Never heard about it but i recently took amoxicillin due to a flu
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied August 12th, 2016
It happenned to em as well. First time i had suffered a bladder infection and i was so transformed when i took antibiotics it really was nothing i ever felt before. My mind cleared, i felt happy, calm. At the time I attributed it to maybe the moment or the infection going away. But then this year i took some antibiotics again and observed a radical, absolutely clear change in mood elevation, mental clarity and happiness. To the point I dreaded the moment they would stop. I want to ask my doctor if the antidepressant I take are not covering a latent infection that makes me sluggish, clouded and aparthic most of days.
|

replied January 10th, 2017
I know this is an old post but I googled for amoxicillin and antidepressants because it feels like a miracle. For the second day in a row, I woke rested and with vivid but extremely pleasant dreams. Not only that but my mood levels and levels of hope are substantially higher than they have been for some time.

I can eliminate external causes because I'm autistic, suffer from PTSD, unemployed, and disabled. By all accounts, I should feel pretty bad but the nightmares and night terrors are gone. I feel better than I have felt in a long time. I'm going to have to have a chat with my psychiatrist.

I have energy again. It's almost a miracle.
|