Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Depersonalization and TMJ

Hi, has anyone else developed depersonalization disorder around the same time as their T.M.J? Is this "normal" for T.M.J or something comorbid to it?
All of my "problems" kind of started around the same time, so I'm not sure which is related to which, if anyone has experienced anything similar please help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 14th, 2011
yes I have. Unfortunately, I think I may have developed DP first. but I'm hoping if I resolve my jaw issues maybe the DP will fade. how are you doing?
|

replied December 15th, 2011
T.M.J is still here, but hasn't gotten any worse; Depersonalization is the same. I don't know exactly which of mine came first (as stated previously in my initial post; they came somewhat simultaneously),but alongside them came a bevy of other problems as well so one can only hope they are all connected (otherwise I'm in an even worse place than I thought).
Thanks for the reply, I hope things improve with you.
|

replied March 24th, 2012
Yes, I have both and they are definitely related in my opinion. Keeping myself as healthy as possible with exercise, good diet and some supplements such as bioflavanoids, vinpocetine, vitamin C and E, MSM and grapeseed extract have greatly helped but have not completely resolved my symptoms after 4 months. Hope it will all go away by summer, might be a lifelong uphill battle though...
|

replied March 24th, 2012
It's been 4 yrs for me, plus more "problems" have developed since (though I too try to keep a fairly healthy lifestyle, e.g. daily exercise, plenty of veggies).
I've noticed it has been related to several bone-growth disorders and I have other bone-related problems, so I do wonder if it is related to an imbalance of bone-growth hormones and if said bone-growth abnormalities are thusly affecting other chemicals in the brain (causing the depersonalization amongst other things).
I'm studying neurology and have given it much thought.
|

replied May 17th, 2012
I am also having the same issue. I have developed TMJ and the Depersonalization the same day.

Is there a connection like you all have mentioned? Has anyone helped the TMJ and had relief from the Depersonalization?
|

User Profile
replied May 17th, 2012
Experienced User
I agree that DP and TMJ are related...I believe anxiety and/or trauma can play a role in both disorders, so that's where I see the connection.

Ericsp,I am curious about how you developed them both on the same day and if you, or anyone else in this thread, experienced anxiety or some physical/emotional trauma at the time they developed, or earlier.
|

replied May 17th, 2012
Well I actually have OCD as well. It has been in check with meds for over 13 years. When I was younger about 9 I do remember feeling this same way I feel now.

This started in November the same week my TMJ started I noticed each day I grew more and more disconnected (depersonalization)

I never thought to put both of them together until just yesterday
|

User Profile
replied May 17th, 2012
Experienced User
If nothing particularly anxiety-provoking or traumatic has happened to you, I wonder if you have quite painful or physically distressing TMJ symptoms...

I imagine that DP may be a reactive defense to a pain-ridden body...a way of dealing with the pain by disconnecting from its source (the body/self).

Thoughts?
|

replied May 17th, 2012
It may be, but my T.M.J isn't overly debilitating and I have fairly high pain tolerance, so I'm not sure.
They say that psychosis (from the mildest forms to the more extreme) are all based on chemicals, so ,theoretically, the same chemicals that cause T.M.J could also be the cause of DP...
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
This seems like a rational explanation. I will let everyone know what happens with the DP when I start some kind of therapy for my TMJ. If it is the case that they are linked I'm sure it will be a gradual process before I am DP free.
|
Tags: TMJ
Quick Reply