Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Demonic possession or schizophrenia (Page 1)

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
It's an awful thing to pull up to a drive through window at a restaurant and the voices in your head are so loud and overwhelming that you can't get your order out. You barely can concentrate on what you are doing there. My son said to me "It's awful aint it". I made that comment to my son in an effort to try and let him know that I understood what he was going through because I had been there myself. While my son was growing up my biggest fear was that he would have to fight the same battle that I had fought. I knew how close I came to losing my mind. It was a hell that I would not wish on my worst enemy. Many times I thought about suicide to make the voices stop. Just to find a place where I would not be plagued with voices and hallucinations and all kinds of manifestations. I've had severe panic attacks where I would wake up in the middle of the night and it would feel as if someone or something was trying to smother me. I've heard voices, sometimes cursing and swearing and sometimes in a language that I've never heard before. I was terrified of going to sleep because I would have all sorts of manifestations ranging from my whole body vibrating so hard that I thought my heart would stop or a sinking into a peace that made me think I was dying. Something would jar the bed and hit and poke at me. Anything to wake me out of sleep. A lot went on over the years that dont have the patience to sit here and type out. Back then I was so afraid to tell anyone but my closest friends about what was happening to me because I didn't want to end up on medication. I had seen what the medications do to you because I had an uncle that was schizophrenic. I thought they would lock me away in a mental institution. So I lived silently in a hell that is really unimaginable to anyone who has not been there. What did I do? I finally turned to the Lord. When I did surrender my life to Christ it didn't get better right off. As a matter of fact it got worse. I had met a Pastor that told me that my help was in the Word. So I went after God with everything that was in me. Do I believe that there is healing for schizophrenia? I know that what I experienced would no doubt be diagnosed schizophrenia. There is a scripture in the bible that states "If you continue in My Word, you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free". I walk with God. I believe that there is healing and deliverance in Christ but it's a faith walk. I realize that for whatever reason, maybe it is the fact that I played with an Ouija board as a child, maybe it was molestation at a very young age, but somehow or another a door was opened in my life that never should have been opened. I realize that my spiritual make up is different from most peoples and that for whatever reason I tap into things that other people cant see or feel and the same is true of my son. When that day came for my son I had no choice but to take him to the emergency room where they admitted him to the psych ward and diagnosed him Paranoid Schizopheric. I was afraid that he would hurt himself. I really wish that he had the faith to walk above this but the reality is right now he doesn't. He takes Risperdal and an anti-depressant. And we deal with it. I made sure that I raised him up to know the Word of God and I continue to pray for him because I know that God is no respector of persons and what He has done for me He can do for my son. After 20 years of dealing with panic attacks, hallucinations, voices, all kinds of what I term demonic oppression, today I am free. For every thing that I have suffered that is a scripture that gives me power and authority to walk above it. I have had probably one anxiety attack in the last 10 years and I took authority over it with the Word of God. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night with evil manifestations. I haven't heard voices in............I can't recall the last time I heard voices. It amazes me that Christianity has taken on such a totally different sphere. Jesus came to set those that are oppressed by satan free. Do I believe that everyone that is mentally ill or diagnosed Paranoid Schizophrenic is dealing with demons? Ican't answer that question. I can only speak for myself. I thank God for deliverance because if it had not been for Jesus, my life would be like my son's or my uncles. But I'm free. The evidence speaks for itself. As I sat there on the couch with my son talking to him one day, he turned and looked at me, and out of the blue he said, "I know who you are". And I told the one speaking to me "And I know who you are".
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper laure_kadrid
|
Users who thank Jehovah888 for this post: jakelong 

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2009
Experienced User
Well. This is sort of working for me. I have schizophrenia. And it has been kind of bad with paranoia for the last 2 weeks. Until a couple of days ago. The paranoia might be buried feelings trying to tell you things. But by this time they are usually too ferocious to really listen to. If there are things in your life that you think you should be doing then you should maybe try working on them. Moving on like this really helps move your life forward. If you really are "too crazy" to deal with anything properly, meaning love, and things, then perhaps you should see a doctor. I have been going to doctors for years, but have never really taken them seriously. This is because "I don't want to have a problem." Having a problem just means having a problem. God still loves you. You can pray to God. But you may also question if you need to hear less of God and more of a practicality. Being a therapist. My last therapist we never covered anything and I felt jipped. It seemed like she never knew when to take initiative, but maybe it was just me. We didn't go along well. And even as a schizophrenic, (I can't get my emotions through well by talking- I'm hoping my next one will help)I wrote her a letter telling her what I thought. That she wasn't helping and I didn't think she knew how to help.
What is the goal of therapy? To be sane? I think it's to learn how to have relationships. Or something. Don't worry. It is nice to be alone. But not for a schiz. They usually have so many ideas and need to learn how to deal with it. Also, spiritual implications of the disease. I hope my next therapist will tell me about what hallucinations are normal and patterns of thought in schizophrenics. And talk with me about mine. I don't want just a friendly one I think.
|

replied December 17th, 2009
Jehovah888,

That is an amazing story. I haven't dealt with the degree of spiritual warfare as you have but I have been dealing with these demonic voices for about 10 years. I have been learning to deal with and resist them over the years. Recently I have discovered how closely intertwined my walk with God is and my ability to resist them are. The more I follow God's ways, pray and trust in him, the weaker these attacks are and or the more resilient I become and the opposite is true as well. I just got on this site yesterday and it's kinda reliving to hear others have and or are dealing with this as I thought I was one of the only ones out there.

I hope your walk stays strong and things are going well with you.
|

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2009
I continue to walk with God. I stay in the Word and I guard my thoughts. Because of my sensitivity to the spiritual world around me I don't let any and everything into my thoughts. When the enemy tries to get in I bring my thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ. I tell my son, he has got to come to grips with whats real and what is not. Satan is a liar and a master manipulator. He preys on our fears and brings those fears to the forefront of our thoughts through illusions. My biggest victory over him is when I came into the revelation of how much God loves me. The bible says perfect, mature love casts out all fears. God loves me. Jesus has already fought the battle that me, my son, you and anyone else that deals with spiritual warfare are in. And His victory is our victory. Satan has been defeated. Guard your thoughts, walk in Truth, and embrace God's love for you and victory is yours.
|

replied December 26th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Victims of demonic possession do not hear voices. In fact post exorcism they generally have no awareness of what happened during the possession. If you are hearing unexplained voices the best approach is to be medically evaluated to be sure you're not being affected by a very mundane disorder.
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2009
I really don't know what a person experiences when they are demonically possessed but there is a difference between being demonically oppressed and being demonically possessed. Demoncially oppressed individuals do hear voices. I know because I was one of them. No I was not medically evaluated and no I never took any medication and yet for 10 years plus I have not heard the voices that once plagued my life. Again I walk with God. On the other hand my son, who now walks in my shoes does not have the faith that is needed to come against the demonic oppression that the doctors label paranoid schizophrenia and so he does take medication. Today I am free from an oppression that lasted 20 plus years because I did not know God. But when I did come into relationship with God and began to receive revelation of the scriptures I realized that the battle that I had been trying to fight had already been fought. Jesus' victory over Satan and his demons is my victory over Satan and his demons. All I had to do is believe it and walk in it. Again, today I am free. No it is not remission. It is deliverance. Again I don't know what a person who is possessed experiences. I thank God that I had not reached a level of total possession. Just like there are different levels of physical illness, their are different levels of demonic influence. It's truly amazing to me that medical science can't offer any way to get free from this plaguing illness that seems to be increasing more and more, mental hospitals are filling up, the pharmaceutacal companies are racking up and doctors just go from one name to another trying to explain why people seem to be losing their minds. They say it's a misfiring of the the brain or a chemical disorder and yet they say there is no way to fix it outside of medication. And yet I'm free. I understand that I'm different, and yet I'm free. And I give all the credit, the glory and the praise to God. I pray my son one day has the faith to walk in the freedom that it is his as a child of God. He woke up this morning with nightmares and I went into his room and prayed for him. I continue to believe that what God has done for me He will do for him. Which is deliver him from the oppression of the enemy. And according to the scriptures, the enemy is Satan and his demons.
|

replied December 28th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Demonic Opression isn't something I have an education in. However it isn't associated with this thread. It doesn't sound unrelated to the topic of health. Perhaps you should start a new topic if you want to talk about it.
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2009
I don't necessarily have an education in it. I just know what I experienced. Things were happening to me straight out of a horror movie or things that you see on the sci-fi channel. I was scared to death, so yes, every book that I could get my hands on that would give me some information on how to be delivered and stay delivered from that hell I tried to get my hands on it. But my main source of deliverance was the bible, the Word of God and the counsel of the Holy Spirit. I feel for people that are diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia. I feel for my son, because I know outside of faith in God they live in a hell that like I said is really unimaginable to someone unless they have been there themselves. It's a vaccum of darkness and yes, I've been there. It's like a neverending nightmare that you can't wake up from. I read on one of the websites that paranoid schizophrenics have the highest rate of suicides than anyone and I know why. Sometimes it seemed like the only way out. I'm so glad that my nightmare has ended. I look at my son and I really pray and hope that he finds what I found in God because his life will be totally different. I try to tell him, I understand because I've been there. Again, its a hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I've talked to people that tell me that I am an exception to the rule. That people diagnosed with this illness have to live with it. I even talk to some Christians that hold this same view and I wonder, where is their faith? I continue to pray for my son. I will never succumb to the idea that this is life for him. When I talk to his doctors I agree that he needs medication to function and to keep him from hurting himself. When talking to the doctor I stay away from words like demon oppression and satanic influence. But my reality is that what God did for me, he will one day do for him. Completely and totally deliver him from demonic oppression.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I don't mean to tangle with your beliefs but Demonic Oppression is also not a biblical referrence. I'm not sure where you got the notion that Devils or Demons talk to those on this world other than through the bodies of the possessed, but I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea for your faith.
I encourage you to talk to the pastor of your faith honestly about what you're experiencing and what your son is going through, and allow him to minister to you as God has ordained him to.
Best of luck.
|

User Profile
I applied the scriptures and it worked. I've been totally free for 10 years plus and I continue to walk in it. I was under the counsel of a pastor to help me get free but as I continued to walk in faith and received total deliverance I no longer attend his church but I was under his counsel for 2 years plus. Can all the christians, and they are many, who believe like I do be wrong? And yet I applied my belief and I'm free. Call it faith, a miracle, call it what you will, all I know is it worked for me. I don't claim to know all there is to know about demons and spirits but I do know what I experienced was spiritual. If not, then I guess it just went away one day, after 20 years plus of dealing with it. I guess my brain quit misfiring or the chemical imbalance balanced itself out. I'm not going to get into a tangle about what I believe, but I hope that this last post gives the people who are walking through the hell that I've come out of a little bit of hope. May God do for them what He has done for me. Heal and deliver them because with what I've experienced, the things that I've seen, I know without a doubt that He is still on the throne.
|

User Profile
Before I leave this website I would like to give you a little background of where I have come from. Back, if I'm not mistaken around the mid 80's, I use to keep journals but over the years I stopped, but somewhere in the 80's, when I think of the most frightening thing I experienced, it would be a time when I thought I could outrun demons. At first things would happen only at night. Hallucinations, nightmares, voices, things poking at me waking me up in the middle of the night but then something happened, I opened the door to shame and guilt, and condemnation and I thought God was angry with me and when I did things began happening even in the daytime so I didn't get any sleep. Every time I dozed off just for a minute, the voices would start, something would hit at me. Thinking that I could outrun this I packed my bags and I went to a friends house, hoping that whatever it was that was after me would not know where I was going. My friend knew a little about what I was experiencing because I had confided in her about my dilemma. That night at her house things were not any better. I tossed and turned all night. When I woke up the next morning, my nose hurt and my eye was infected. There was this guy on my job that says he was a born-again Christian, yes I held a 8 hr, 40hr a week job, but this guy claimed to be a Christian. He use to be a high priest in a satanic cult. May sound crazy but when he walked up to me and began talking to me whatever it was that caused my nose to hurt began to pulsate. The more he talked the worse it got. When he walked away it stopped. At that point I decided to fast if for no other reason but to find out why this was happening to me. I didn't know a lot about the bible and my faith was very weak, but I had heard that fasting gets God's attention fast. The last day of my fast, again at work, my head hurt so bad because I had not eaten anything. My eye was still infected and my nose was still very sore and I was still very scared. I knew I was not in good shape. I went to the nurses station on the floor and asked for some aspirin to releive my headache. She gave it to me and she looked at my eye. She told me that I needed to go to the doctor and that if I came in the next day she would send me home because it looked like it could be contagious. I went back down to the kitchen and I sat the aspirin on the table. I went and got a piece of chocolate cake to eat so that I wouldn't take the aspirin on a empty stomach. I didn't want to break my fast but my head hurt so bad. I sat the cake beside the aspirin and walked away and as I walked I heard, "My Grace is Sufficient". I worked a little, came back and stood in front of the cake and the aspirin and walked away again, and again I heard "My Grace is Sufficient". I worked a little and went back to it again, because my head was splitting. I picked up the cake and again I heard, "My Grace is sufficienct". I bit into it and immediately I felt something change. I went into the bathroom and looked at my eye. It had started to heal, right in front of me. I realized at that point in my life that it did not matter what I had done, it was all about God and His Grace, His mercy and His unconditional love. Within minutes my eye was completely healed and my nose stopped hurting. My healing and deliverance did not take place over night. I had to walk it out. But if I had dared told a doctor, psychiatrist, and even some Christians what I was experiencing, I would not be where I am today. Free to come to this website and give others hope. That's just one experience. I'm not coming to the website anymore, but I just wanted you, Wolfe to know that true Christians don't always say what they believe especially to those that don't believe. But trust me the Kingdom of God and the the worlds system are totally opposite in what they believe. I'm glad I'm now part of the Kingdom of God, because in his Kingdom there is no such thing as Paranoid Schizophrenia.
|
Users who thank Jehovah888 for this post: mizchulita 

replied December 30th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I assure you that in God's Kingdom there is such a thing as paranoid schizophrenia. There are children of God who surrer from it and there are doctors of all faiths who treat it successfully. If your pastor agrees that what you're experiencing is "Demonic Opression" and your church stands by you and supports you then it sounds like you're in the best hands.
|

User Profile
I really am in the best of hands. Not my church or a Pastor. I'm in God's hands. I'm not the enemy Wolf. I decided to post on the web-site in hopes of helping someone but I think that these back and forth debates on what I believe and what you believe is hurtful to those that just need a reason to hope. I'm not the kind of person that can have such a miracle of deliverance take place in my life and look back and see other people drowning in the same waters and not throw out the life line that was thrown out to me. I really dont believe you have heard a word I've said. If you had then you would know that at this point in my life I don't need counseling or a Pastor or a church to stand behind what I believe. I have God and His Word. And I have a testimony of healing and deliverance from what doctors say there is no cure for. I can tell that you have not walked in the shoes of a Paranoid Schizophrenic. If you had you would not be so casual about it. I have and because I have I have a passion to see others receive what I have. Healing and deliverance. When men confronted the blind man that Jesus healed and asked who did this for him, the blind man told them all I know is that I was blind and now I see. That's all I'm trying to say to those that are where I use to be. I was there but now I'm free. It doesn't have to be a life sentence. Take your medication, pray, read your bible and seek God with your whole heart, mind and strength and see what happens. God is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him. I don't believe that what He did for me was just for me.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Jehovah888
I appreaciate your desire to help but the plain truth is that it is not God's will that all men be cured. The existence of medicine is unquestionable proof of this. I would be shocked if there was ever a victim of Paranoid Schizophrenia who didn't pray for deliverence. It is a Hell on Earth. If God delivers you from illness then you are surely blessed . Schizophrenics need to seek medical help for their illness. They should absolutely follow their faith and do everything else to escape their condition but it is not a substitute for the very healthy approach of seeking medical help for a medical problem.

People who are sufferring from posession or in your case opression should seek the counsel and protection of their church. They should be diagnosed by a ley person qualified to evaluate spiritual malady and they should seek the support and love of their church and it's parishoners. Spiritual illnesses have spiritual cures.

Waiting for God to solve your problems is a recipie for sufferring. You will be deliverred or not based on his will. If you fail to tend to your own deliverence in the meantime then praying for mercy is absolutely the same as doing nothing. God really does help those who help themselves.
|

replied January 12th, 2010
Hey there Wolf,

Why are you so set on argueing with Jehovah888? By the way, Jehovah888 started the thread so I think that allows her to say what she pleases. She is just trying help others that are suffering from what she has been through herself. As for Jehovah888, thank you! Your testimony is very encouraging. My mom has been suffering from schizophrenia for about 3 years and it has completely destroyed her life. But I'm keeping the faith and I know that God is in control.
|

replied January 12th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Jehovah888 and I have fundamental differences in faith. I am opposed to the idea of putting your life in God's hands. I don't believe this is the responsible behavior of a Christian, and it is not how I was raised. Everyone in life has told me that God will meet you half way and that God rewards those who work towards their own salvation. I believe in this case that your half means doing everything earthly possible to deal with hallucinations and paranoid episodes. People of Faith have an escalated risk for Schizophrenia and mania. I welcome you to interpret hallucinations as you like within the boundaries of heresy but don't allow yourself to believe that you know God's will. For all you know it is his plan that you undergo treatment and are delivered by medicine.

If you are beset by demons, and you keep faithful and you pursue treatment, It costs you nothing. If you are schizophrenic in an entirely mundane fashion and you keep faithful and you ignore medical treatment, it could destroy your life. All I'm advocating is that you look after your health.
|

replied January 17th, 2010
I get medical help from my schizophrenia, but it doesn't help much. It gets rid of the delusions but I still hear the voices. Being on more drugs isn't a good idea because it's really not healthy for your body. Basically it's unnatural and has loads of side effects. I remember I had a higher dosage of the current medication I'm taking now and I just couldn't sleep. Even with the dosage I have now, the side effects are apparent. It's very frustrating.

As for faith, I don't think it would solve my problem. Although I'm not a religious person (believing in God, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit, etc...) I'm a very spiritual, philosophical, and moral person. I like being one with the moment and not being bogged down by ideological beliefs. I also try to be good and totally despise bad or inconsiderate actions. I'm not perfectly moral, but I do what I can.

As for my schizophrenia, the voices are not as disruptive as they used to be. I usually hear them only at night, but they're still there. Should I contact a priest for this? I don't think so. There were many times where I called on God, or Jesus Christ to get rid of the voices in my head, but nothing happened. There has to be another way to get rid of these voices besides calling on Jesus Christ every day for the rest of your life. It just doesn't seem practical, and even more so, it seems restricting. As if I have to force myself to believe in a certain religion in order to live a schizophrenic-free life. Just not my cup of tea.
|

replied January 18th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
Im possessed, or have problems of that nature anywho.

Lately they keep letting me know that they are there, this can make a person fairly uncomfortable.

I don't really know anything about them though, now they do nothing but talk about what the right thing to do is, I don't know why. All of the time, think about what the right thing to do is. So, I asked myself, how can they be bad if they want the right thing to happen. Or perhaps, I have absolutely no clue what that would even be.

Nonetheless, they never shutup, they want me to be vigilant, and I mean all of the time try and figure things out and do right.

Perhaps there are more than one in there though.

I don't know really.

I also have seen a satyr one time. And an alien, and a shadow person, and some other spirits and/or ghosts.

It's no fun.
|
Users who thank woops for this post: TheChosenOne  TheChosenOne 

replied January 19th, 2010
Almost the same with me. Did see a shadow person twice before I was on medication. Strange stuff.
|

replied January 31st, 2010
Wolf could you not see this as you are not so much putting your life in gods hands as actually using god?

This is true enough, you yourself use god as a tool or intervening power. You just have to learn how, and if you fail then you have to realise its a skill rather than just something you deserve.
|
Quick Reply