Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Degenerative Disc Disease and headaches

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I am 33 years old and have had neck pain for about 5 years now. I have Degenerative Disc Disease and it seems to be getting worse. Now I have headaches all the time on the side of my head and my shoulders and neck are always tense and hurt. I want to cry everyday because I cannot stand the pain and discomfort anymore. What do I do and is there something else that could be wrong??? My eyes are sensitive because of the headaches and my middle finger on my hands tingle most days.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sfields31
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do you find regular painkillers and exercise programs not helpful?
Have you been suggested surgical treatment?
|

replied August 20th, 2008
in pain
I take advil, alieve, and tylenol on a regular basis. My vice is that I sit at a desk all day because I am an accountant. The more I move around the better off I am, but it still hurts and I still have the tingling in my fingers even when I move around. The doctor I went to told me some excercises to do but it only helps temporarily. I've been to a chiropractor also with little or short lived relief. I have now been referred to another neurologist and I am hoping that he can help. The headaches in my left temple area are getting worse and they are behind my eye so rubbing my head doesn't even help. I'm too young to be falling apart! Rolling Eyes
|

replied February 20th, 2013
Wow, someone who knows what I'm going through everyday. I have degenerative discs in my neck as well and I have headaches behind my eyes and often times migraines and chronic pain everyday in my neck and upper back into my shoulders. It has also affected my wrists. It is hard to put any pressure on them. I'm only 33. I have been to a neurologist as well and was told it was migraines and he doesn't think I need a MRI right now. I was very dissappointed, because I feel something else is going on. They look at me as if I'm not telling the truth about my pain and tell me I need to exercise. I'm really becoming depressed, because this takes away pretty much any motivation that I have. You are definitly not alone with this and I hope you find some relief.
|

User Profile
replied September 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Is this pain radiating from the neck into the back of the head or across the forehead resulting in terrible headaches?
Can you, please, describe the headaches more closely?
Where is initially located?
How does it spread?
Do you have some accompanyied facial symptoms?
|

replied September 25th, 2008
headaches and disc disease
I know exactly how you feel; I have disc disease with two fusions and the symptoms you described are the same as the ones I am experiencing. I would highly recommend an MRI on your neck to find out what exactly is going on, because something is definitely wrong. For me, I know it is progression to the next disc above the fusions, and I am requesting an MRI for myself today. I hope you do the same, because it sounds to me like your condition has worsened. My problems started in my late 20's as well, and there is arthritis in my family history, so this is most likely a major factor. I know it is frustrating, but is it possible that family history plays a part in your early onset as well? I would check into it, if possible. Either way, I am sorry to hear about your situation, just know you are not alone and there is hope. The best thing to do now is to find out exactly what is going on. I hope this is financially possible for you, it will help just knowing why it causes the pain it does. Good luck to you I and I hope you are able to lessen your pain.
|

replied July 14th, 2009
I also know what & how bad the headaches are & can get! I have headaches everyday and severe headaches most days. I have 2 degenerative disks (L5,L7,area)upper back. They want to replace the 2 disks & it might relieve the headaches. My question is to anyone is what are my chances this will relieve them? My headaches are mostly left side, back to front, including eye sockets.
|

replied March 4th, 2010
Degenerative Disc Disease and headaches
Make sure your doctor checks for Paget's Disease!
|

replied October 4th, 2011
Thanks for your post sfields31.

I have been recently diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my lumbar and have been experiencing the EXACT same symptoms. I too wonder if something else is wrong as all of the information I read suggests that I shouldn't be in this much pain. If you have received any new information regarding your condition, I would appreciate knowing. Thanks.
|

replied October 8th, 2012
I also have degenerative discs in neck and almost daily headaches with one or two migrains a month. I have had an MRI and xrays. I go to a chiropractor 3 times a week and a spine clinic once a month. So far nothing has helped. My Chiro told me today that if I still dont see improvement in 6 weeks there is nothing else she can do for me. I have had 3 rounds of epiderals in my neck and have had the bulging nerves 'burned' IN 4 places. The only thing left is surgery. Im 43 and very fit and healthy in all other areas. I take ultram and cymbalta which doesnt seem to do anything either. If anyone has any advice, experience, or knows a different way please let me know.
Thanks Dara
|

replied May 31st, 2013
Dara, have you been able to find any more information? Have you had any surgery?
|

replied May 31st, 2013
Dara, have you been able to find any more information? Have you had any surgery?
|