Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Death from Gout ?

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
has anyone ever died from gout or arthritis?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile preventgout
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2010
. . . I've never heard of anyone . . . but one time when I was having a Gout Attack I asked my wife to shoot me . . .
|

replied October 4th, 2010
Gout/Death
My brother had severe gout this past year, and he eventually stopped producing his own blood. He died 2 months ago.
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2010
I'm sorry for your loss.
|

replied October 24th, 2010
Maecherie, my brother has just been admitted to the hospital "again" with severe gout. In bed for a week before his roommate called squad to take to er. Very sorry for your loss. How did the body stop producing blood. Need as much information as I can obtain. thank you. Kim
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2010
kidney problems?
maddmaxx - I've recently come across some info about deaths associated with Gout coming from poor renal function - is there some kind of kidney problems going on? I got over my gout accidentally by learning a lot about acidity and oxidation. 2thumbs
|

User Profile
replied December 19th, 2010
I had a flare up in my left wrist when i was 36, thought it was a sprang wrist, doc told me it was Gout, I'm 50 now and i live with the acid lvl around 13 to 14 now, have it in most foot joints hands , elbows , knees wrist, taking 3 types of meds, but Neproxen,*4 at 1 time aday* works ok, but still not pain free, Amputation would be great option sometimes i think..
|

replied July 15th, 2013
Just learned about the herb/mushroom Wild Lingzhi...I have gout in feet....in my stubbornness I tried to suffer through it and managed to the first 3 times, but the last time it switched from what had only been my left foot to my right. It lasted a few weeks and when the symptoms started to ease I decided to return to work, which only re-aggravated it. It's been over 2 months and still have an area on the fifth metatarsal that flares up when used too much and is tender when even bumped slightly, I'm afraid I caused irreparable damage. I researched and found this herb....gonna try it as I'm afraid what will happen if that foot has another attack! Maybe this can help.
|

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2010
amputation?
Moccatan - it's funny you should say that because I started out the home page of my website with that idea. They won't let me do a live link but it is naturalgoutprevention.com if you want to find it.

That's a lot of meds, Shocked - there are some alternatives.
|

replied December 28th, 2010
Check the most recent information from FDA. Neproxen is not recommended as a treatment for Gout any longer and can be fatal if combined with other gout medicines. I don't normally have much faith in the "findings" of the FDA but this one seems right on. The one treatment which has the least side effects if used properly and the best outcome is Colchine and the latest recommendation is as a daily preventative along with Allopurinol. These are very old standbys and some doctors only want to use the newest and "greatest" meds. FDA recently re-released colchine under a new name Colcyn I think with new prescribing recommendations. A strict diet of no meat or the bad vegs will go a long way in getting control of gout. Its taken 2 1/2 years but I am starting to be able to eat again. No or little pain is worth it. Its no different than treating diabetes.
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2011
autumn crocus
Cholcine comes from the Autumn Crocus plant, so it is somewhat on the lines of a more natural approach to gout but it too much of it will make you crap your pants - it is actually a natural poison but it helps control inflammation.

I was on allopurinol and colchicine for a long time and still got lots of gout attacks. It wasn't until I got keyed into what free radical damage and antioxidants are and understanding health at a more "cellular" level, and finding the importance of alkalizing and balancing body pH.

The gout went away quickly after that - and that is saying a lot since I spent about 13 years with it; hundreds of gout attacks and 3 surgeries for tophi. Not bad since as I write this I'm only 52.

And yes, Diabetes and Gout; peas in a pod. hey
|

replied February 20th, 2011
well im 37 and have sufferd gout sice i was 22 when i had my first attack it felt like bieng bitten by a poisness spider
i went to the doctor and perscribed ibruofen anti inflametary in 15 minutes the pain had gone after my second attack the
ibruofen never worked again over the years ive been put on alot of medication and treatments wich have failed at the moment
i had gout in my wrist for 3 weeks and has now moved to all my toes in my right foot the only way i sleep at
night is to cut off circulation to the area i no that is probaly a dangerous thing to do but when you havnt slept for
days you tend to give up and dont care
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2011
It can be fixed . . .
@brendan123 Don't give up, it can be fixed. There is more going on with your metabolism than throwing another drug at can fix. Google me: Bert Middleton - you will find all my sites about how I got over gout - there is something or some things about the way you are living your life that are causing you to live in a relative state of acidosis. It can be fixed. It can be corrected. Pills just cover it up but the overall acidity, but it is still accumulating. You can do it! lift
|

replied November 3rd, 2012
Gout
Please tell me about the die for gout patient
|

replied December 12th, 2012
My Auntie had Gout last year which the dr gave medication for. It caused her kidneys to fail and she died within one week! She only had a bit of gout in her finger, it was a shock to say the least.
|

replied March 25th, 2013
preventgout wrote:
. . . I've never heard of anyone . . . but one time when I was having a Gout Attack I asked my wife to shoot me . . .

Only one time?
|

replied March 28th, 2013
gout attack
If you have gout, you know the unfortunate signs of a gout flare-up. There's nothing you can do to stop a gout attack once it's started, but there are things you can do to care for a gout flare at home.

A gout attack happens when someone who already has higher than normal levels of uric acid in the body has a build-up of uric acid around a joint. Uric crystals form, causing a painful gout flare. Many things, including alcohol, some foods, stress, and some medications, can cause your uric acid level to rise, leaving you open to a gout attack.
|

replied March 28th, 2013
Experienced User
Suzen11 - A very common cause of a gout flare is sleep apnea, which is the frequent cessation of breathing during sleep for many seconds at a time. The resulting depletion of oxygen in the blood causes the cells to begin the process of catabolism, which culminates irreversibly in their generation of uric acid fed into the blood, faster than any food would cause. The low blood oxygen level also makes the blood more acidic, so that its uric acid precipitates more readily as the urate crystals which cause a gout attack. These blood conditions are transient, dissipating when normal breathing is restored, so that a blood test taken during waking hours misses their peak levels. Sleep apnea is the reason that most gout attacks originate during sleep. Those gout attacks are an early warning of the presence of sleep apnea, which is estimated to be undiagnosed in at least 80% of those who have it.

Long term untreated sleep apnea is known to have many life-threatening consequences, such as heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes, kidney disease, and maybe cancer and Alzheimer's disease. When death from gout is mentioned, it's probably a result of death from one of these other comorbid conditions, all of which may be the result of the underlying sleep apnea. Now that this information is known, there should be no excuse for ignoring the early warning of sleep apnea which gout presents. Sleep apnea is readily treatable. By treating the sleep apnea, a gout sufferer can greatly reduce the risk for developing those life-threatening diseases as well as prevent future gout attacks.
|

replied December 30th, 2013
Death from Gout Medications
My Mother turned 74 on September 22, 2013. She had a attack of gout on September 21, 2013 and another two week later. Her kindney function was at 2.7, in October 2013, and she died as a result of the medications prescribed in November 2013. She had diabetes, CHF, and chronic kidney failure. Her kidney level of potassium had risen to 5.3, within 2 months.
|
Quick Reply