Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Fibromyalgia Forum

dealing with Fibromyalgia

Must Read
Fibromyalgia causes pain in the body. Learn the basic facts about fibromylagia and how doctors define this syndrome here....
Are people diagnosed with fibromyalgia born with a lower tolerance for pain? Are you at more or less risk of fibromyalgia? More info and causes and risk here....
Symptoms of fibromyalgia can be mistaken for other conditions. Can you identify common signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia?...
i have been on almost every single different support group there is and i am desperate to know this answer to this question. but first let me tell you abot myself. im 19yrs old female and i got to a major univerisity in my state (MS). i have been dealing with FM since i was 13, and CFS for years but it only got worse as i got older. i have most of the syptoms of Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. im dealing with some form a sleeping disorder im thinking its insomnia. Im going to school to become a neuro-radiologist and reseacher for fibromyalgia.
My question is how can go through college and deal with the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Its very hard becuz most days i cannot get up and otherz i cannot sleep. Some weeks i only get 4hrs a sleep and otherz i just crash. i have tried almost everything and have seen hundreds of doctors. What can i do so i make it in college with Fibromyalgia, CFS, and everything else. Somebody plz help me!!!!!! Crying or Very sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile zigemyster
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
What was the onset of the FM like?
Did it hit quick and hard or come on slowly?
What kind of medicines you take?
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I think that you can do this. It wont be easy of course but then again, dealing with this and doing things like you are never is. getting out of bed in the morning is hard enough as it is most of the time. I think that you have to be very determined. ask your doctor to test you for sleep disorders and see if they can help you wiht that at all. You have to push through it all. I think that what you are trying to do is very admirable and i wish you all the best.

if you ever need me just hollar:)
|

replied August 25th, 2009
I was able to take a 1/4 of a flexeril(a muscle relaxer) around 6 pm and by 9 or 10 I was able to fall asleep and wake up refreshed. Most people with fibro do not get into the deep REM sleep. That's why we can sleep all night and the entire next day. Avoid caffeine, take hot baths. I know it is very hard to do anything with Fibro. It controls your life. I hope you make it through. I had to give up a 2 year grant for Physical Therapist Assistant due to my fibro. I was able to return to work. I still struggle daily.
|

replied September 16th, 2009
Sometimes I don't know it I'll make it through college either
As terrible as it is, It's so reassuring to hear that there are other college students out there going through what I'm going through. I'm a freshman if my very first month of college, and I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It's impossible to get homework done or be alert in classes or take quizzes and tests without the symptoms getting in the way. And what's worse is that the stress of college life makes the symptoms worse, so it's just a cycle we're trapped in.

I know people say to avoid caffeine, but coffee is what gets me through the day, and I've found that avoiding it doesn't make me sleep any better. I've starting Lyrica, and I'm trying to stay on a very low dose and suppliment it with routines and yoga, which all seem to be helping.

Anyway, I just want to say that I sympathize and would also appreciate any advice.
|

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Cutting out all processed foods, cow's dairy products and eat more raw fruit and vegetables can ease / rid fibromyalgia pain.

I was in dire pain for 8 long years...until I tried an anti-inflammatory diet. (Fibro is inflammation)...pain level went from 10 to a 0 in less than 30 days and I lost 8 pounds. Now if I eat foods that are a no-no, my body will react within a couple of days. So before I eat the forbidden food...will this be worth the pain?

I tried many prescriptions and the side effects + putting my liver through hell...not worth it. Changed my eating habits...best natural medicine one can seek.
|

replied September 28th, 2009
Hi!
I understand what you are going through. It's not an easy task but I really admire you because you seems very determined to finish school despite what you have. I know someone who doesn't have any dissabiltiy or problems whatsoever but he doesn't do anything. It's a REAL Disappointment! SO Don't give up it'll make you stronger everyday, and if its of any help just make sure that you:
AVOID STRESS
WATCH WHAT YOU EAT.
EXERCISE
GET GOOD SLEEP- try to avoid caffeine though.
Oh! have a good massage too.
hope this could help..

|

replied March 6th, 2010
I know how you feel...
You sound just like me!! I know this is an old post so if you see this could you tell me what you ended up doing to help? Although I've just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia/CFS this year, I've basically been dealing with it all my life (it just took this long before people started believing me that there was something wrong). Anyway, I'm attending the toughest college in my state and I honestly feel like I'm just barely making it by. It's hard enough as it is finding other students with fibromyalgia but it's practically impossible finding students who are also taking on a tough course load. Everything I read tells me to take things easy and not stress myself out but that's kind of difficult when I have exams and homework to deal with every day! I also find it really hard to fall asleep stay asleep (considering it's 6am and I STILL haven't been able to fall asleep...) I've been reading about the possibility of having low progesterone levels but it's going to take months before I ever get that sorted out. Anyway, any advice that you have now that you've been dealing with it for a while would be much appreciated!
|

replied April 24th, 2010
Experienced User
FIBROMYALGIA 101
I''ve had the disease for 20 years and I found that when I started taking Magnascent iodine and all the B vitamins the symptoms got better...more energy, less pain. I also follow Dr. Asa Andrew''s diet in her book...Empower Your Health. Fibromyalgia people are sensitive to chemicals in everything... shampoo, detergents, cleaners, perfumes anything that had a strong scent gave me a migraine and sinus pain. I''m also looking into taking my root canals out because the mercury is also very toxic. I also found that we have too much lactic acid in our body which causes muscle pain...I''m treating that with Malic acid...I do not take any pharmaceuticals. Also, laughter is the best medicine...if you like dancing, go do it...please do not sit around and do nothing.
|

replied May 13th, 2010
I have most of these symptoms for years, sometime the pain is too much I don't know if I can survive. My stomach is too sensitive to take any prescription pain pills, I can only take Tylenol, it helps for a short time, to get some sleep, I have to take Ambien every night. I never heard of this name Fibromyalgia before until today, my friend just sent this info to me.

When I told my doctor at Kaiser about my pain, they ordered MRI and other tests, they couldn't find anything wrong with me. Here, I'm with these pain, some day, I don't know if I can go on. I'm a heathy eater, lost of fruits and vegetable, no drinking, coffee or tea, excersise regularly, so far, nothing helps. Any advice, I'm so grateful.
|

replied May 29th, 2010
so im not the only 1 then... i hve had fibromyalgia for 18 months i still not sure wot it is bu its pain i get it in centre an to the right ov my chest my stomach an back... i doing nothing bu belch alday it will come from no where i have tied millions ov tablets medication bu all i get is the side effects i duno wot to do my life has changed so much i dnt leave my house due to panick attacts i have had so mant x rays an ecg lung test the lot bu all comes bk normal i ask myself isit all in my head bu the pain i gets it impossible to think ov anything else..
|

replied December 13th, 2010
brandusa
Hi! I feel sorry for you all. I was also diagnosed with fibromialgia 2 years ago. Mine is not a clear diagnosis because I have also hiperlax joints( another motiv for chronic pain coming from a connective tissue disorder wich is genetic). I understand that there is no genetic testing for hyperlaxity alone, only for marfan or eds- the other types, not for mine. I am functioning on a 30% "capacity" everyday and can not get my exams this way- I am a college student. Tell me please if you could help me in any way with any information or reccomandations -I've already tried the "alopatic" way...
|

replied January 25th, 2011
Hi.

I have had Fibromyalgia for 17 years.It came on gradually starting with stomach bloating,progressing to body aches,dry eyes,stiffness,soreness,pins and needles,alcohol intolerance,blocked nose,fuzzy thinking,lack of energy,intolerance to sounds,etc.

Over the years i have learnt a few usefull tips which have helped me.Hope they might help you aswell.

1) eat healthy foods,salad,veg,fruit,water.avoid processed.
Although very hard to stick to it helps me enormously,and i pay when i eat badly.
2) gentle exercise,light weight training,speed walking,avoid impact sports,ie rugby,running,squash etc.
3) massage.Tried most alternative therapies,and deep tissue massage by a sports therapist gives relief for a while.
4)Deep breathing and trying to avoid stress,meditation,etc.
5) avoiding alcohol,if i have more than 1 drink i pay for 2 or 3 days...

Hope this has been helpfull to someone.
|

replied August 29th, 2011
Re: dealing with Fibromyalgia
angel_in_disguise wrote:
i have been on almost every single different support group there is and i am desperate to know this answer to this question. but first let me tell you abot myself. im 19yrs old female and i got to a major univerisity in my state (MS). i have been dealing with FM since i was 13, and CFS for years but it only got worse as i got older. i have most of the syptoms of Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. im dealing with some form a sleeping disorder im thinking its insomnia. Im going to school to become a neuro-radiologist and reseacher for fibromyalgia.
My question is how can go through college and deal with the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Its very hard becuz most days i cannot get up and otherz i cannot sleep. Some weeks i only get 4hrs a sleep and otherz i just crash. i have tried almost everything and have seen hundreds of doctors. What can i do so i make it in college with Fibromyalgia, CFS, and everything else. Somebody plz help me!!!!!! Crying or Very sad

Your situation is terrible, and I feel for you. Everyone's suggestions are great but there is a missing element; oxidative stress. The fact is, chronic illnesses such as FMS is related to oxidative stress caused by free radicals. You need an nrf2 activator.
|

replied August 29th, 2011
Re: dealing with Fibromyalgia
angel_in_disguise wrote:

Perhaps, you may want to consider activating your system's natural antioxidants by using lifevantage's Protandim. Disregard the rest because they only supplement not simultaneously activate the anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and anti-fibrotic genes. The fact is, chronic illnesses such as FMS are highly related to oxidative stress caused by free radicals. Don't expect your doctor to tell you about it. ID #226947
|
Quick Reply