Medical Questions > Womens Health > Endometriosis Forum

Dealing with endometriosis pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi I am new to the site and suffer with endometriosis. I am 24 and have just recently being discharged from hospital again due to pain i suffer. would anyone have any tips on how they deal with the pain . Any tips would be appreciated as I am at my wits end

many thanks rainbow
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 12th, 2010
The only things I've found that get rid of the pain completely have been birth control pills.

I use to take microgynon (combined pill) a few years ago, which would get rid of the pain completely. I stopped because of concern over side effects. Now I'm taking cerazette (mini pill), and I've found so far that this also helps a lot with the pain. I still have to take a very low dose of ibuprofen occasionally (200mg) wih cerazette, but at least now painkillers actually work and get rid of the pain completely! Before, I couldn't find any painkiller that would make much of a difference, most did nothing whatsoever for me. But you should know if you consider taking cerazette that, unfortunately, it does seem to come with some annoying side effects for a lot of women, especially in the first three months of taking it.

If you prefer the more natural approach, here are some things I've found helpful in the past, pasted from a previous post I made. Though I will say that these things only helped reduce the pain somewhat, they didn't come close to getting rid of it completely:

"It''s all about avoiding xenoestrogens - chemicals that behave like estrogen once absorbed into the body. They''re added as preservatives to many things like sunscreens, shower gels, make-up, moisturising creams, etc. Luckily, they''re not difficult to spot in the ingredients listings, as they''re all listed as -paraben. I use to spend a lot of time outdoors, and so in the summer I''d put on loads of sunscreen (and I mean loads - I have very pale skin that burns very quickly in the sun). Funny how my problems started to become a bit less since swapping to a sunscreen which contains no parabens. I always use to think it was strange how my pain seemed to get worse in the summer! Obviously I replaced everything else I use for a version without parabens too. Unfortunately the more "natural" products tend to be more expensive, but I think it''s definitely worth paying a little extra if it''s going to help with the pain.

I also think that a vegan diet probably helped me a bit too, but only when very rigidly kept to. I tried this after a few sites suggested that it might help with endometriosis, because apparently we can absorb estrogen-like chemicals through animal products we eat too. I forget whether it it was estrogen naturally present in the animal, or whether it was hormones deliberately added to their feed - possibly a bit of both. "

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply