Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Am I Pregnant Forum

12 days late on my period, 5 negative tests.

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
We think members are already discussing this topic! Join the conversation here: Signs and symptoms that you may be pregnant
In May I started my period on the 1st of the month, and in June I started on the 2nd. While I was on my period in June, my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex, and used the "pull out" method. It is now July 14th and I have yet to start my period. I've been dealing with a lot of stress lately, and I work two jobs that don't allow me to have "normal" hours, so I know that might play a factor in why I seemed to have missed my period. I took 2 pregnancy tests on the 5th, 2 on the 10th, and 1 today, all negative. Am I freaking myself out, or am I pregnant? So far, the only symptom I've experienced is a late period. Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2012
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Delay in periods could be due to stress, changes in lifestyle/diet/sleep pattern. Intercourse during periods/menstrual bleeding usually does not result in pregnancy. Look out for development of any other new symptoms if pregnancy is suspected. If your periods have not started within 10 days of expected period dates, or if periods are abnormal, or if you suspect chances of pregnancy, consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). If pregnancy gets ruled out, further evaluation would be done to look for the underlying cause for your absent periods. Treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you regulate your periods. If pregnancy gets ruled out, and if you are not ready for pregnancy, but intend to remain sexually active, you should consider getting started on suitable regular birth control measures to be protected (after your periods). Avoid unprotected sexual contact within 2-3 weeks of getting started on hormonal contraceptive (as most of the hormonal contraceptives start giving you effective protection after 2-3 weeks). Be regular with birth control use as instructed. Avoid having unprotected sexual contact if you are not ready for pregnancy. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Am I Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.