Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Daughter is hearing voices

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
We are going to see a psychologist as soon as we can get in, but I am gathering as much information as I can in the meantime.

First off, the only mental conditions in my family are that my oldest daughter and I both have been dx'ed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. She used to be on Zoloft for it, but learned coping skills and hasn't needed meds in 5 years. (She is now 18 ). I am taking Cymbalta. I have a hunch my hubby is OCD, but that is undiagnosed. But there is no schizophrenia in the family anywhere.

My middle child will be 14 in July. She tells me that she hears voices about 4 times a day, more in the late afternoons and evenings. They have occurred in different places but are worse when she is in her room. They order her to leave her room, she says. Sometimes they tell her to hide. She doesn't do what they say, though. They have never told her to do bad things, but they have told her there is an earthquake that is going to happen. She doesn't know where, or when. She also said she thinks there are cameras in our air vents and always feels watched. Last night she informed me she "knows" that she can open up a portal in her closet. I asked her if a voice told her this, and she said no. She doesn't know how she "knows" she can, she just thinks she can. She is a gifted child and has continued to make straight A's every report card. She used to be able to read for long periods of time. She LOVES to read, or used to, but lately she says she has to read the same paragraphs over and over but they don't make sense and she cannot concentrate at all. She will stop talking mid sentence and just stare and then forget what she is going to say. She says sometimes she will see people who are there one minute but not the next. I know teenage girls can be drama queens, so I don't know what to think. But I do want to listen, and I don't want her to feel like she cannot talk to me! She doesn't normally try to seek attention. She is very well loved and cared for and has had a great, very happy life until now. But all of this is really starting to make her depressed. She is scared that she is losing her mind, and is asking for professional help...which we are getting her. I just need to know others' thoughts for now.

Do you think she could be schizophrenic?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper inconnu
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
Daughter hearing voices
Hi. My 19 year old daughter has been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. She has had several episodes that are very similar to your daughter's. For example, just last week she told me that when she tries to go to sleep at night she hears voices off in the distance. They are not actually taling to her but she hears a lot of conversations going on. Also, when she was in the mall last week she felt that she could hear other people's thoughts. Additionally, she has told me before that she feels like there is always a hidden camera filming and watching her every mood. Her psychiatrist labeled this a "psychotic" episode and put her on Zyprexa. It seemed to help within 2 days and she was no longer hearing the voices. I suggest you take her to a psychiatrist for an evaluation. My daughter suffered for a few years before we realized that she needed help.
|

replied January 26th, 2010
Please, please stop submitting your children to what is still a budding science.
They do not know what your kids are experiencing, and will only give them medications with yet-unknown side affects that could affect their brain development/chemistry.
If these are schizoid or psychotic episodes, they are certainly on a mild and probably temporary scale. If depression is resulting, it may not be from what they hear, but the feeling of being alone because of it... and/or being rejected, ashamed because they feel they have a problem.
I am not saying anti-depressants aren't helpful in situations that require it, but I do think the other classes of drugs are just too much for those who don't absolutely need them. Especially children and young adults. I wish they weren't so readily prescribed- much like antibiotics, painkillers, and steroids.
The voices may be a result of anxiety, dissociation, or past trauma. It may indeed be a phase. Or maybe, just maybe, they do hear something.
Having more active lives, outlets, and strong bonds with others can often provide enough distraction (reprieve?) to fade the issue. Self-enforced isolation or outside rejection only pushes someone further into their head, and perhaps a receptive state.
As a parent you want to explain away everything that frightens or threatens your child, but sometimes you just can't- but you can be supportive and let them know they're still ok, and 'normal' is truly a bad word. I believe it might be the most destructive one of all. Rushing them to be shrink-wrapped doesn't exact enforce their sense of security or acceptance.
Addressing the more positive and tangible aspects of life, rather than the 'problem', might make it less of one. Please understand I'm trying to calm your fears, not invalidate them. I respect and admire your concern for your families. Good moms.
|

replied January 26th, 2010
In the case of the Zyprexa success, it can be a wonderful thing if the imbalance is actually there. I didn't mean to criticize any effective and appropriate treatment. But the original poster's description doesn't meet enough criteria to absolutely signal dysfunction, though she may be rushed to the conclusion. There are a lot of chemicals in an adolescent, and they are, by definition, very 'turned on'. Sometimes I think mood stabilizers. etc are really blocking an evolving process of perception. But if it helps anyone lead a happier, more fulfilling life I also think that's fantastic. It's very hard to know what forms of caution should be exercised, and very easy to be too trusting of professionals whose information and opinions are changing constantly. Their conclusions are formed by the long-term effects on patients, which translates to experimentation.
|

replied January 27th, 2010
Hi. Lots of people don't know this - but hearing voices and having unusual beliefs/thoughts is actually really common. About 8% is the figure I heard recently (for young people), but just read a study from holland saying about 16% of children aged about 8 have had the experience. Sandra Escher (from Holland) has researched alot with young people who hear voices and has found that within about 3 years in 60% of them the voices had gone. In the rest of the people in the study felt more able to cope with them - so there's a real positive message here!

If you're interested, have a look at her info for parents on the Intervoice website (http://www.intervoiceonline.org/2007/5/22 /children-and-hearing-voices)

There are lots of reasons young people hear, see or think things others don't. Often it can be down to difficult life experiences and emotions that they're struggling with. The things the voices say (or the themes underlying the beliefs) often give clues to what the underlying issue is. It can help to think of them as messengers - the difficult bit can be working out what the message is.

If people are distressed/confused, medication can help them get some relief - but there are lots of other ways of understanding and dealing with these issues too. Especially given that medication is pretty powerful stuff and has side effects that can cause problems (weight gain, metabolic issues inc diabetes, sedation etc).

It can be really scary going through these things (and supporting people through them) - I've done both. But there's lots of help out there. If you're in the UK, the Hearing Voices Network (www.hearing-voices.org) is a good start.

It can be really scary going through these things (and supporting people through them) - I've done both. But there's lots of help out there. If you're in the UK, the Hearing Voices Network is a good start.

Also, I recently came across a website aimed at young people who hear voices (www.voicecollective.co.uk) - it had a real common sense approach to it all.

Good luck - and I really wish you all the best! Your daughters are lucky that they have your support
|

replied March 20th, 2011
I know this is an old post but I was wondering what if any was the outcome? My daughter who is 14 is currently in the hospital for voices. I'm not sure what will happen from here but we're giving her all the help and support she needs. Thank u
|

replied January 12th, 2012
Please! Do not ignore the things your teens or children are telling you about hearing voices. My family has recently been through a very traumatic experience. My daughter is 14 and we adopted her at the age of 3. From the time she turned 6 we knew something was wrong. She suffers from RAD, ADHD, and was just diagnosed as a scizophrenic. One month ago she lit our house on fire before she ran away, and tried to kill all of us while we slept during the night because the voices told her to do it. The voices also threatened her that if she told us why she did it, her parents and herself would be killed. We only learned of these voices a few days ago, because she has been terrified by these threats to tell us. Please take this seriously, seek help from a professioal and hope that it is nothing you need to worry about. Do not take a risk. She is in a residential tretment facility for children with mental disorders and are looking for any advice for further placement when she is released. We have 3 other children at home and have been told we need to turn our home into a phychiatric inpatient unit. I refuse to do this and my family still live in fear. I know there are medications to deal with these disorders, but there is not a doctor that will tell us she will never do this again .
|

replied January 14th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
Wow stacie you are blowing my mind or what mind I have left. The earthquake that they have always told people about is apparently very real, do a little research and you will see that it will probably happen. Mine talk about it alot also.

Scizo, you daughter is like us now, she needs knowledge. They are very real, you should know that now, how could you do anything good for her if you didn't even know that. Apparently they can scare anyone, turn the largest and baddest of men into a weeping little child, apparently men don't know what big is anymore, or bad for that matter. We are cattle to them, little chickens, and they can do with us what they will.

Kind've makes you want to be nice to cows when you know that you basically are one doesn't it.

You have never been alone here, they were here long before us. And oh the sick games they play with us. Just like beowulf. Decieving and being decieved right?. They wouldn't know that they started off being lied to in the first place would they, their perception of themselves is far ascew, a broken mirror is what they peer into and don't even know it, it's all that they've ever experienced.

And Im not saying that i know what should be done, but pills probably isn't the best way to go, might as well just kill us, that would be easier on us actually.
|