Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

darker skin around vagina normal or abnormal?

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
Im 30 now but since I was young girl teenager before having sex started to notice skin darken up around my vagina ... lips and clitorial are pink and purple normal but all skin around it on the out side of vagina and even in my inner legs started getting darker and darker... why did this happen? Can I use skin lighteners for such delicate area? its quite embarrassing to be naked ... normal or abnormal?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2011
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

It is common to have genital area a little darker than the other skin parts.But if the skin is very much darker then it can be due to hormonal imbalance,hair removal creams if used,epilators etc.
Usually skin lighners do not help and being a very sensitive area it should be avoided.
You can consider visiting a Dermatologist for evaluation.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.