Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

dark red if not black discharge...

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I am having a menstrual problem. I am having dark red if not Black stuff coming out. Its not close to my period. Its right in the middle between my periods. I have been having some symptoms of maybe a yeast infection but I took some over the counter stuff for that about a week and a ½ ago. I am 26 years old. I have two kids. Both delivered via C-section. I have my tubes tied after I had my youngest child and that was 2 years ago. I had a pap done a year ago and it was normal.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2010
Menstruation Answer A17099
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Dark brown or blackish blood indicates old oxidized blood. Sometimes it is considered to be normal in women who have delayed periods. If it occurs more often and apart from being associated with periods, then it could indicate a number of issues like: gonorrhea, genital warts, Chlamydia, menopausal changes, pelvic inflammatory diseases, HPV infection, and cervical cancer.
Go ahead with a thorough check done by your gynecologist (not GP) along with further investigations including a repeat PAP smear test to come to the exact cause to be able to start with treatment.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.