Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

dark brown toe nail discoloration

Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
Is there an over the counter I could possibly use? What cause my toe nail to change color?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile rooted
|

User Profile
replied December 8th, 2008
Supporter
Your toenails and fingernails protect the tissues of your toes and fingers. They are made up of layers of a hardened protein called keratin, which is also in your hair and skin. Your nails' health can be a clue to your overall health. Healthy nails are usually smooth and consistent in color. Specific types of nail discoloration and changes in growth rate can signal various lung, heart, kidney and liver diseases, as well as diabetes and anemia. Nail problems that sometimes require treatment include bacterial and fungal infections, ingrown nails, tumors and warts.

Nail problems should be evaluated and treated by your podiatrist, who can diagnose the ailment, and then prescribe medication or another appropriate treatment.
|

replied January 28th, 2009
toenail infection
Vicks vaporub WILL help clear that up. Applied twice daily, you will see normal toenail color on new nail growth in a few weeks. Be patient, toenails grow slowly. I have seen this work for a friend and my husband. I first heard of this from an "Ask The Doctor" column.
|

replied September 2nd, 2010
Thanks Karen!
|
Quick Reply