Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Dark brown spotting indicating a possible hormonal imbalance

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
Instead of my normal period for the month of August, i spotted some very dark brown thick blood, not enough to be changing my pad. In this month of September the same thing is happening again, except i been spotting for 2 weeks already. Is this normal? Is this my regular period?
I stopped taking birth control about 6 months ago. i also took a pregnancy test about 2 weeks ago and it came out negative. Should i test again when i finish spotting?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2009
Menstruation Answer A7439
Given the data you provided (thick dark brown spotting both the last month and now, but now lasting for two weeks), you might be experiencing dark brown spotting likely due to a hormonal imbalance. The color of menstrual flow might range from light pink, red, to dark brown which is usually because of older blood. All this color variations are considered normal.

However, the fact that you spot for two weeks likely indicates that there is a problem. This is not menorrhagia (prolonged heavy bleeding at regular intervals), but the causes might be similar. A hormonal imbalance is a condition in which the normal sex hormone production is altered. Sometimes a hormonal imbalance is only a consequence of another condition (ovarian conditions, for example) which needs more examination to detect.

You might want to visit a gynecologist for a physical examination, hormonal laboratory tests and/or ultrasound scan. Other conditions that might have caused the dark brown spotting include: cervical polyps and uterine fibroids. If a hormonal imbalance is detected, then the doctor might recommend hormone-containing pills, which would try to induce the normal hormone production pattern.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.