Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Dark brown discharge between periods (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
Hi, I had my last menstrual period about 2 weeks ago and last night I started having a thick, dark brown discharge from my vagina. I initially thought it was irregular bleeding or spotting, but the amount eventually was enough to require me to insert a tampon this morning. After removing it however it seems more like an odd discharge than blood; it was covering the tampon but didn't seem to have been absorbed at all. It has a thick and pasty consistency but does not have a foul odor nor the odor of blood, or really any smell at all. I've looked at those symptoms online now but couldn't find any likely cause (that I know of). I have no other symptoms, i.e. cramping or signs of infection, etc, so I'm pretty confused. Does anyone know what might be going on? Thanks!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper upsetandworried
|

replied October 27th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
It sounds like it can be your normal creamy cervical mucus discharge mixed with blood. Your hormones may just be out of whack this cycle.

My other suspicion will be an infection but you say that you do not have symptoms...
|

replied October 28th, 2009
are you on any birth control??
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2010
I have the same problem too. Good to know I'm not alone. I'm wondering the same thing.
|

replied February 28th, 2010
I was hoping someone would have a good answer for this question as I have been experiencing the same symptoms. I'm not sexually active right now, no itching or pain. I guess a trip to the doctor is in order and I will update this post when I return Smile
|

replied March 4th, 2010
The brown discharge is nothing to worry about. It's just some lining of the vigina and or cervix that is coming off which is normal as your body will naturally have a 'clean out' and as it's during your period, it will mix with blood causing the brown colour as it's normally cream or white.
If the brown colour carries on when you don't have your period then you might need to see a doc so they can test it for infections.
Hope that helps Smile
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2010
Me too!
I have the exact same thing, it''s really strange.
|

replied June 25th, 2010
MeToooo!!!!
I also have the exact same thing. It's been going one for about 6 months now. I have a doctors appointment in 2 weeks, I am hoping that it is just my hormones out of wack. I will post after appointment.
|

replied July 4th, 2010
I have had this issue for years. Your hormones are likely confused. I have also experienced spotting between period. I am on the pill and my doctor has tried putting me on various types of birth control to try to balance it out so it stops. The spotting stopped but so far nothing works to eliminate the brown discharge that likes to make an appearance sometimes. She says there is nothing wrong with it, I'm totally healthy, it really just bothers me.
|

replied August 8th, 2010
Hi.

Iv been experiencing this dark brown discharge mid cycle (just around ovulation) for a number of years now! I am on the pill (cylest) and have been for three and a half years. When i started seeing my current partner three and a half years ago I went and got checked for std's just to get the all clear and everything was fine! I am as regular as clockwork when it comes to my periods, I have a relatively heavy but short period followed by the usual day or two of brown discharge as my body cleans itself out! I am very lucky as I NEVER experience any abdominal/head pains, mood swings or anything during my period either! However, this dark brown, thick discharge occurs midcycle on MOST of my cycles ,but not all of them! It really gets me down as it really affects my sexlife for those 2-5 days that it occurs..and to be fair it's usually worse when im aroused! It also puts my boyfriend off which really bothers me! About two years ago now me and my boyfriend talked about it and I decided to go to my doctors about it again. I explained the fact that I get it mid cycle and that I don't get any other symptoms(pains/itching/ulcers etc etc
) and even though I have had no more sexual partners my doctor checked for std's again as he said that no std test is 100% reliable! But once again...nothing was found and he said it was just a mixture of ovulation bleeding and discharge and nothing could be done about it....GREAT! For the past year and a half my boyfriend and I have been on opposite sides of the world as part of our emigration to Australia so this regular midcycle discharge has not been a problem emotionally! But now we are back together finally...a week of great sex at first and and now this midcycle discharge is affecting things again! I hate it! It really gets me down and I'm actually worried about things like ovarian cancer and cysts and things like that - even though I know im not getting any other pain or any other sypmtoms I think i'm just getting a little paranoid about it all! I am only 24 so stupidly can not get a smear test until I am back in the UK at christmas time which is when I turn 25 (and get one on the nhs)! I am also going back to england in september for my sister's wedding..should I book an appointment at the doctors then and see if a change in pill might help. I 've read that my body can get used to the pill im on and my hormones could be imbalanced! Sorry i have ranted on for so long but thought it was best to put everyone in the picture! Any help would be great...and to be fair...just knowing that i'm not alone in experiencing this is a slight comfort! x
|

replied August 16th, 2010
I'm so relieved to see that this is such a widely-experienced occurrence.

I've been having this dark discharge for about 1 year now, always mid-cycle & usually around the time I would be ovulating. Sometimes it lingers for more than a week & it really is a mood killer in the bedroom.

I went to a Family Planning Clinic & spoke to a doctor about it but she seemed really rushed in her examination & just muttered something about it being normal. I have very regular pap smears & they all come back clear so I haven't bothered to get any further medical advice. But somehow it's hard to relax & not worry about it as it seems so unnatural compared to what I experienced in my first 15 years of menstruating.

I am 36 years old & my partner & I are talking seriously about starting a family in the next 12 months. I find myself worrying about whether this brown muck is a symptom of infertility. Has anyone who has experienced this gone on to have successful pregnancies? Or alternatively, discovered they are unable to have children? If so, please share your stories. Thanks to all who have posted so far.
|

replied August 16th, 2010
Me and my partner are a long way off from having children but 'brownmuck's questions about infertility are ones that I was wondering too! Someone please reply! x
|

replied September 20th, 2010
Hi, guys i used to get this often and still do the odd time, and i have a 2year old son so stop thinking it can stop you having kids because i am living proof that you still can! Its horrible but like with everything else ..... we are women and always have the rubbish to put up with... periods... shaving.... babies etc..
And men think they have it bad? :S
Hope this helps after my rant! Smile xx
|

replied October 1st, 2010
Dear brownmuck & upsetandworried, I am a 40 year old mother of 3 and have this same problem. I am currently awaiting an ultrasound to check out why this discharge occurs. Because I am a mother of 3 I am thinking the worse as I don't want to leave my children by having cancer so hopefully as everyone has posted I also have nothing to worry about! Good luck with the little ones it's tonns of fun...
|

replied November 17th, 2010
Those who've seen the doc about brown discharge - what happened?
Ok those of you who said you had doc's appointments and said you'd report back --- you didn't report back!!

So? What was the outcome?
|

replied November 30th, 2010
make it stop
Yes, please post updates! I have been dealing with this for nearly 8 years, minus the 6 months I was undergoing treatment for endometriosis (because it was like chemically induced menopause!) and now it's back again. I've been to several doctors and all they do is change my birth control pills. I even came off the pill for about a year and it didn't matter. For me, I usually have a combination of discharge and/or my period for about 2 weeks out of the month, sometimes 3 weeks... talk about killing the mood. The worst part is when you think you're fine, only to discover during intercourse that... nope. I hope somebody out there has found something that works, and can share it with the rest of us. I share the same concern as others, wondering if it's going to cause sterility or other problems, so I'm glad to hear from others who have had children despite this enigmatic condition.
|

replied December 15th, 2010
has anyone found a answer? I really need to see a Dr soon for my annual pap but i have no insurance or job right now.I have had brown discharge between periods off and on for 2 years but now it comes out in globs sorry to be gross when i use the bathroom to pee and wipe its on my toliet paper,my periods are regular and never miss them.the first week after my period i am usually clean but during midcycle i have this aweful crap and what feels like normal midcycle pain for at least a week then i am fine till my period starts again.
|

replied January 26th, 2011
good to kno am nt alone
hey ya'll

Its comforting to know am not the only one having that happening... Kinda felt like a weirdo.... From what ive read here and on other sites this is just sumthing we have to deal with... since docs say its normal and appenrently stoping the pill doesnt help pfff.
Ive been on BC since 2006 chnged it thrice and am now on the third brand 9 cnt even remembr the name ... The first pack maide my liver fail so i had to move on to Cerazette . I was on tht one for over 3 years and apart from the occasional 2-3 days of drk bleeding before or after my period everything was fine.
But since December i have been on that new one and i have litterally been bleeding for over 10 days in dec. and for jan. i've been bleeding since the 9th (!!!!!!) it stoped around the 15 to only strt again on the 17-18. Well am saying start again but its nt really blood, its that dark disgusting stuff! the worst is that it only last half a day or will strt at night whn i get to bed ( which is killing my bf).
Am awfully dpressed and because i have an anemia problem ( with other stuff wrng with my blood nd all) I get very light headed and tired and the pain sometimes gets too much to even stand.
Got tested bfor strting the new pill and tld the doc about this , apparently its my body tryying to adapt.... the thing is maybe its my body telling me to stop lol.... Anyway am rambling. Bottomline is Thanx for makin me feel a bit better about myself ( knowing am nt sum kind of freak) and hopefully one of us will figure sumthing out.
Bless
|

replied January 27th, 2011
Hi everyone.....I've had that discharge too between my periods but it was because of the pill. I'm on a low dosage pill to deal with menstrual pain (not exactly helping) but it's caused me to spot quite heavily. So if you're on the pill you can spot, and the spotting is the same as how it was described above.
|

replied January 31st, 2011
Sadly, after 11 years of normal menstruation, I've started to experience the same symptoms as described here. Interestingly enough, I've never *really* been on birth control (minus 2 months, after which I decided it made me too crazy). If I get to a doctor soon, I'll try to post a reply - but it's really comforting to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.
|