Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Dark brown / black discharge

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I have been having dark brown- black discharge 2 days before my period and on the 3rd, 4rd and 5th day of my period it goes completely black. I believe it started around a year and half and I thought it l get back to normal. But i have been having it continously on each period. I need to let you know that I had an abortion done in october 2010 and during having all tests done, the gynecologist foud a septum in my uterus and told me that I have heart-shapeded uterus or bicornuate uterus. I dont really know if there is a link between those or not. But I just thought maybe it will help you to have more clear picture and help me better. I am kind of scared since I dont get more than two days period with fresh blood!!!

I appreciate ur help

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2011
Menstruation Answer A25875
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The dark bleeding/discharge could be suggestive of possibility of infection, hormonal changes, uterine problems etc. You should consider visiting your gynecologist/obstetrician for further evaluation. Consider requesting your doctor/gynecologist for having a swab/smear test done on the vaginal discharge to identify causative agent for infection. Treatment as appropriate would be started based on examination and investigation results. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid tight fitting clothes. Since you are sexually active, get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection and avoid having unprotected intercourse while both of you are on treatment course. You can also consider discussing about removal of the septum, which will also increase your chances of pregnancy and be helpful in controlling your symptoms.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.