Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

dark blue knot in vein at left upper arm

I have this blue knot in what appears to be a vein in my left upper inner arm. It is a hard knot and I have had it for years. It itches now and I have wanted to get it removed. I am worried that it could be a clot or mass that should be removed to prevent its material from becoming a source of a stroke for me. Does anyone know what it is? I would like a doctor to answer this question and let me know who to go to in order to deal with this problem. I asked my Internist and she did not answer me...she doesn't know. Thanks for any help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

It is not possible to know what exactly the lump might be, without a visual examination.

A lump arising from vein, can be due to superficial thrombophlebitis or due to thrombosis.

Thrombosis is blood clots occurring within a superficial vein. Clots occurring due to injury to smaller superficial veins are less likely to dislodge and result in strokes.

Superficial thrombophlebitis is inflammation of a vein just under the skin with or without a small blood clot inside the vein. This condition is usually benign and it settles down within 2-6 weeks. Application of thrombophob ointment can help in easing the symptoms. Conditions that can predispose to thrombophlebitis include varicose veins, trauma or IV injections, coagulation disorders and patients with immobility.

The other possibility of such lumps include blunt trauma induced venous hematoma, which appear like a large elevated bruise like lesion. Application of pressure on such a lump can produce symptoms like pain. Itching in the surrounding area occurs due to associated irritation. In most cases the vein undergoes spontaneous repair and the hematoma is absorbed by tissue degradation.

You might consult with a general surgeon or a dermatologist, who can examine the lump and provide you proper treatment and specific advice.

|

replied May 13th, 2012
Similar knots
I'm not a doctor, but I have similar blue knots in my left arm. They've been there since birth. My father, both my brothers and two nephew have similar knots, so there's clearly a genetic component.

Doctors have examined these on all of us, and we've never had any trouble. However, they've never hurt or itched or changed size for any of us.
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.